Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

not booting to gui

I'm trying to get debian to work, as I've come to understand that the more distros I try the better I will understand what I want out of Linux. I've used Suse 9.1 and was excited at the results. So I wanted to try debian.

The problem is 1) debian's install is a bit over my head. I have no idea about PPP and what packets to install. I actually thought I did this right, but when I go to launch debian I can't get to the gui. All I get is text only. Which for me is not the best option at this point.

I tried logging in as root and a user I set up in the install. Both times I tried to launch kde or startx. Both times the screen went blank and a few moments later came back with an error saying no screen present.

I'm kind of at a loss and would really like to see how to fix this.

You need to configure X first. Run xorgconfig and answer its questions. Then try startx. To actually boot into a GUI on debian, you have to add it to a runlevel and set it as default. To do this, check out the magic:

Code:
    update-rc.d -f kdm remove
    update-rc.d kdm start 99 5 . stop 01 0 1 2 3 4 6 .
    And edit /etc/inittab, changing this:

Code:
    id:2:initdefault
    To this:

Code:
    id:5:initdefault
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Banned

Re: not booting to gui

Quote Originally Posted by Norgate
    I'm trying to get debian to work, as I've come to understand that the more distros I try the better I will understand what I want out of Linux. I've used Suse 9.1 and was excited at the results. So I wanted to try debian.

The problem is 1) debian's install is a bit over my head. I have no idea about PPP and what packets to install. I actually thought I did this right, but when I go to launch debian I can't get to the gui. All I get is text only. Which for me is not the best option at this point.

I tried logging in as root and a user I set up in the install. Both times I tried to launch kde or startx. Both times the screen went blank and a few moments later came back with an error saying no screen present.

I'm kind of at a loss and would really like to see how to fix this.
    First of all, how are you installing it?
    I personally recommend using the new Debian installer:
    http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/

Do you have a working internet connection?

Did you install an X server (and a WM/DE)?

Did you configure X?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    im getting the same problem, it is saying it can't find my graphics card (ati radeon 9800 pro) and that it dowsn't detect a screen (for the same reason i am guessing) but it does TRY to start KDE for me (hence the blinking) but it ultimatly fails, i tried configuring it, but i am new to linux so i am kind of in a jam (i am runnng from knoppix right now), somebodey please tell me how to get the xserver to recognize my GC!!