Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
First off, can you post the exact error message? Also, try typing "ls /etc/ndiswrapper". A directory with the same name as your .inf file should show up. If it doesn't, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

First off, can you post the exact error message?

Also, try typing "ls /etc/ndiswrapper". A directory with the same name as your .inf file should show up. If it doesn't, did you run "source /etc/profile" before installing your .inf file?

Just Joined!
    I'm not at home right now so I will have to wait until tomorrow to post the error message. If my memory serves me correctly, there is a directory /etc/ndiswrapper/bcmwl5 (bcmwl5.inf is the driver name) but that is one thing I will double check when I get home. I know that I have not run the "source /etc/profile" command before. What exactly does that do?

I will get back with more specifics tomorrow afternoon when I get home. Thanks for your help,

TravisT

Hehe, frankly, I don't know what "source /etc/profile" does. But the ndiswrapper instructions that I followed had me do that, and since your error is /etc based, I was assuming that this might have affected it. I dunno.

On another note, you might want to check the ndiswrapper forums to see if anyone has had your problem:

http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/forums/

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Ok I just checked it out. I do have a directory named BCMWL5 (which is my .inf file) and it has some .conf files (and a couple of other files in it). When I type "modprobe ndiswrapper", the error it gives me says "modprobe: Can't locate module ndiswrapper". That's where I'm stuck as of now.

Out of curiosity, does the command

Code:
    modinfo ndiswrapper
    return anything? I don't expect it to, but if it does, then things are really farked up...

I believe that you need to move a certain file (likely ndiswrapper.ko) into a certain directory (likely /usr/src/`uname -r`/lib/extra). But I don't know where to find the file, and I don't know that Debian does this the same way that I did...

Did you compile ndiswrapper yourself? If so, the only possible fix I might recommend is to remove it (use the instructions at http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/p....php/Uninstall ) and reinstall it. Make sure to type

Code:
    source /etc/profile
    before running

Code:
    ndiswrapper -i bcmwl5.inf

Just Joined!
    after typing "modinfo ndiswrapper" I get:
    "modinfo: ndiswrapper: no module by this name found"

By compiling ndiswrapper, what exactly do you mean? Again, I am new to linux so I don't know much about it yet...

Hi Guys

I'm stuck at the same place with the same card - "modprobe: Can't locate module ndiswrapper"

How did you fix this?

It it possible to install ndiswrapper easily using apt-get instead? If I do "apt-get install ndiswrapper" it doesn't wprk, but if I do "apt-get install ndiswrapper-source" it downloads a b2z file to my /usr/src. I think something's going wrong with the make process and ndiswrapper isn't getting installed properly.

btw, I do have ndiswrapper.ko in:

/lib/modules/2.6.8-2-386/misc/ndiswrapper.ko

I've been reading this about my error message:

There are a number of possible reasons. The module may not have been put in a place where modprobe can locate it. Or, more likely, it was built against a different kernel than the one you are using.
    How do I tell what kernel the ndiswrapper I installed was built for? or am I barking up the wrong tree?
    Registered Linux user #389109
    My Semi-Linux Blog

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2