Find the answer to your Linux question:
I would like to modify my default path when using a shell terminal while in gnome / kde. I have modified profile in the /etc directory. It works fine if ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Path settings in gnome / kde shell terminal?

I would like to modify my default path when using a shell terminal while in gnome / kde.

I have modified profile in the /etc directory. It works fine if I drop out of X Window and use a command prompt. Just not while using a shell in gnome or kde.

Thanks, Jeff Greer

Linux User
    Try putting something like this

set PATH=$PATH:/what-you-want-to-add-to-path
    export PATH

in /home/your-user-name/.bashrc

Linux Newbie
    I already have the .bashrc file set the way you suggested. It works when I'm at a character based terminal outside of X Window, just not within a shell terminal in X Window.

That is why it has be baffeled.

Thanks, Jeff

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    I had a similar problem. Try the following. When in X-windows open a user terminal. Select edit -> profile from the menu. When the requestor comes up, select the profile you wish to edit (probably default) and select edit. On the edit requestor select the titles and commands tab. There should be a box that says something like "start as login shell". Check this box. This will force the terminal to run /etc/profile. Edit /etc/profile to have the correct path. This "should" work.