Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I'm using the latest Debian stable version (stable is the only version I have, and the only version I can get). I'm stuck with a terminal interface, and would infinitely ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Debian Video Card Detection

I'm using the latest Debian stable version (stable is the only version I have, and the only version I can get). I'm stuck with a terminal interface, and would infinitely prefer a GUI. However, my startx command leaves me with "no screens found." The video card is not detected.

My video card is a Diamond Viper 9600XT with a ATI Radeon chipset, but the radeon configuration doesn't work.

I was told to apt-get install discover, that discover is a package like kudzu. Will that solve my problems?

Thanks for the help!

"No screens found" doesn't necessarily mean the card is not detected. Try running xf86config to set up your X Windows.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Linux Newbie
    I already configured XFree86, and I tried a variety of the preconfigurations for the card (radeon, VESA (generic), vga, and more).

I'm almost certain the card is not being detected properly. But when I run the Knoppix CD, KDE comes up just fine. So I'm guessing that it's either XFree86, in which case I am incapable of switching to xorg, or that it is the video card, in which case I would try apt-get install discover.

So you're saying when you change the driver in your XFree86Config-4 to "vesa", it doesn't work? Is this a PCI or AGP card?
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Linux Newbie
    Here's the website for the video card: http://www.diamondmm.com/V9600XT256.php

It's an AGP card.

That's a pretty standard card. You should be able to use the "vesa" driver with ANY video card. Do you still get "no screens found" when you use the vesa driver, or are you getting other errors?
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Quote Originally Posted by Comrade
    I already configured XFree86, and I tried a variety of the preconfigurations for the card (radeon, VESA (generic), vga, and more).

I'm almost certain the card is not being detected properly. But when I run the Knoppix CD, KDE comes up just fine. So I'm guessing that it's either XFree86, in which case I am incapable of switching to xorg, or that it is the video card, in which case I would try apt-get install discover.
    what driver is knoppix using
    Brilliant Mediocrity - Making Failure Look Good

Linux Engineer
    screens can also mean the monitors vertical and horizontal sync settings are off, check the back of you monitor and make sure the correct settings are used...also, make sure that the tag for your video card under "Device" is the same as what the screen is calling for, you can call it whatever you want, just be consistant...also post your /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 for us to peruse, you may need to alter some other things, the no screens found error is more than likely not a video card error...

as techieMoe said vesa should get you set up with a display at least...after that you can work on getting the "good" drivers working.
    Operating System: GNU Emacs

Linux Newbie
    type [lspci] ............. it will show you your display controller

if it is there

run [dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86] and go through setup.......choose your card

Linux Newbie
    My monitor is *very* old, so is that a problem? vesa does not work, unless I am forgetting to do something simple, which I probably am.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast