Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've searched this forum and many others and no answer has quite helped me yet, so I'm hoping I can get some resolve here. --------- Debian 'sarge' 3.1 Kernel: 2.6.12.3 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

alsamixer: function snd_ctl_open failed for default: No such file or directory

I've searched this forum and many others and no answer has quite helped me yet, so I'm hoping I can get some resolve here.

---------

Debian 'sarge' 3.1
    Kernel: 2.6.12.3

---------
    Problem:

Configured kernel with alsa support and all the goodies 2.6.* is supposed to have in regards with alsa. After installation of the kernel and a clean reboot I notice all the alsa-type modules (eg. snd_*) have been loaded and it looks fine. I go to run 'alsamixer' but there are no alsa commands. After researching I find out that even though alsa (or should I say alsa-base) is built into kernel 2.6.* I still needed to install the libs and utils package. Reading on alsa-project, they state that any 1.0* packages should work with the 1.0.9rc2 version of alsa-base that is built into 2.6* kernel. So I downloaded, unzip/untared, configured, maked, make installed and everything is built. So --- Problem? Well, now I go to run 'alsamixer' and I get;

Code:
    dboxen:/# alsamixer 
    alsamixer: function snd_ctl_open failed for default: No such file or directory 
    dboxen:/#

I've googled around and can't find an answer for this. Hopefully this proves more successful.

I once had debian installed on this before and I had installed the debian packages with apt and it worked fine. Though, as you debian people know, 'stable' packages are pretty out of date. I did notice however that with the deb package there was a /dev/snd/ directory. Googling around, it seems it should indeed be there. I'm not sure if the error I'm getting is in direct result of not having that directory but that'd be my first guess.

Question arises though; How do I get that directory in there? I assume either a module or a package creates it. During my research I read that the 'snd_pcm_oss' module creates /dev/dsp (which I have), so something else has got to load /dev/snd/.

If anyone could work with me on this I'd be greatly appreciative. I've been pullin my hair out. Please let me know if you'd like more information regarding my PC specs. I'm able to provide anything, and please dont be shy, there are no stupid answers; just stupid people. ; ) jk. Any suggestions what-so-ever would be more than appreciated.

Regards

I use
    Code:
    module-assistant
    to install alsa. Does all the hard work for you
    Brilliant Mediocrity - Making Failure Look Good

Just Joined!
    could you explain in more detail please? module-assistant is used to install modules without building them from source yourself correct? I dont see how that will help me - please explain further.

I had no problems building the modules and installing them while building 2.6.* kernel.

I'm at work at the moment, but i'll update this later with my 'lsmod' which shows all the alsa modules built with the kernel have been loaded.

I do appreciate your idea. Any others?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    here is my 'lsmod'

Code:
    dboxen:# lsmod
    Module                            Size  Used by
    snd_seq                     52624  0
    snd_pcm_oss           53024  0
    snd_mixer_oss         19712  2 snd_pcm_oss
    nvidia                      3710276  12
    md5                                4096  1
    ipv6                            257088  10
    af_packet                    22280  2
    eth1394                       20360  0
    8139cp                         20352  0
    ohci1394                      35636  0
    ieee1394                   315192  2 eth1394,ohci1394
    via_agp                           9984  1
    agpgart                        36168  2 nvidia,via_agp
    ehci_hcd                      46728  0
    evdev                              9856  0
    usbhid                          35424  0
    uhci_hcd                      33292  0
    usbcore                     133340  4 ehci_hcd,usbhid,uhci_hcd
    snd_emu10k1          116484  1
    snd_rawmidi               25120  1 snd_emu10k1
    snd_seq_device            8844  3 snd_seq,snd_emu10k1,snd_rawmidi
    snd_ac97_codec         83064  1 snd_emu10k1
    snd_pcm                       92808  3 snd_pcm_oss,snd_emu10k1,snd_ac97_codec
    snd_timer                     24708  3 snd_seq,snd_emu10k1,snd_pcm
    snd_page_alloc           10244  2 snd_emu10k1,snd_pcm
    snd_util_mem                4736  1 snd_emu10k1
    snd_hwdep                     9376  1 snd_emu10k1
    snd                                 52964  10 snd_seq,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_emu10k1,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq_device,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm,snd_timer,snd_hwdep
    soundcore                      9952  2 snd
    8139too                        25216  0
    mii                                    5760  2 8139cp,8139too
    rtc                                  12600  0
    unix                               27568  352
    dboxen:/#

Just Joined!
    cmon, there has got to be more people that have come across an issue like this or exactly like this.

any information is helpful. please let me know if theres more information needed.

Just Joined!
    Lots of folks have this problem maybe you can find an answere here.

http://www.google.com/search?q=alsam...-US:unofficial

Just Joined!
    wow dude, never thought about googling on the issue. OH WAIT! i actually mentioned that I had already done that in my initial post.

I know I said any information is helpful, but please dont be stupid. Read and comprehend the initial post before offering assistance. That was just silly.

Linux Newbie
    Did you run alsaconf before?
    alsaconf detects and configures your soundcard.

I am not sure if this is the case, but it could be possible that you have to instal a mixer seperatly.(i always install aumix)

I don't know exactly how i did it, this install is running a couple of years now, so it's a long time ago.
    Help me getting a Opera licence
    Beginning with debian? -> read THIS!

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbishop
    wow dude, never thought about googling on the issue. OH WAIT! i actually mentioned that I had already done that in my initial post.

I know I said any information is helpful, but please dont be stupid. Read and comprehend the initial post before offering assistance. That was just silly.
    Damn sorry man. No need to be insulting. I admit I missed that part of your post, but was just trying to help. I will make sure to by pass your further posts. Good luck.

Just Joined!

Cool sauce

even though this thread is old, this is for the googlers who may have a similar problem
    chmod 777 /dev/snd/*
    its lame
    but it works its a permissions error, or at least was on my system.