Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
...I have a question. I posted a while back about replacing XP with Debian a while back and some of the issues that I thought where important. Well anyway, I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Enthusiast

Before I go and mess everything up....

...I have a question. I posted a while back about replacing XP with Debian a while back and some of the issues that I thought where important. Well anyway, I only decided to go for it this week (since I have more than enough time in my hands) using Ubuntu. I already know my Netgear MA101 wireless adapter (uses the Amtel module) isn't supported from the box. I already found the driver and know what to do when the time comes, my question is: Has anyone here installed this driver, if yes, any pointers? I'm completely wiping my XP, I don't really do anything that is Windows specific anyway (such as games, or speciality programs).

Linux User
    now idea, id liek to help you though...

Linux Enthusiast
    Alright, since it seems like no one knows the answer, let me ask a few other things that I'll need and don't know if comes with the Ubuntu CD. First of all, will Ubuntu still install with no internet connect? I'm sure it will, but I need to be sure. I know it has a 2.6 kernel, but does it also come with the source in /usr/src or where ever else? I think that's all the questions.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by bidi
    First of all, will Ubuntu still install with no internet connect?
    Yes. Ubuntu, along with most Linux distributions will install just fine without an internet connection. The only one I know of that [i]requires[/b] one is the Debian Net Install, for obvious reasons.

I know it has a 2.6 kernel, but does it also come with the source in /usr/src or where ever else? I think that's all the questions.
    Ubuntu to me seems to be focused on the user rather than the developer, so I doubt the kernel source is included, but I could be wrong.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Banned
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install build-essential linux-headers-`uname -r`

In case that confused you, the command jens provided should install the kernel sources for you in Ubuntu.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Linux Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by jens
    Code:
    Wouldn't I need a working internet connection to get those from the repository? Or is it offered in the CD?

And how exactly is that command jens used? Do I just type jens and it takes care of everything?

Quote Originally Posted by bidi
    Quote Originally Posted by jens
    Code:
    Wouldn't I need a working internet connection to get those from the repository? Or is it offered in the CD?
    Ah yes, I forgot you had mentioned no internet connection. That would be a problem. I'm not sure if the kernel sources are included on Ubuntu's CD.

And how exactly is that command jens used? Do I just type jens and it takes care of everything?
    If you had a working internet connection, you would open up a console window and enter that command.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Er...

The command itself is not "jens". I can see where you got that from. The command is:

Code:

Linux Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabhan
    The command itself is not "jens". I can see where you got that from.
    Yeah, I just realized that as I was re-reading the posts.

Can I just get the necessery packages, burn it on a CD, point apt to my CD drive and do the install that way? If yes, what's the apt config file that defines where it's supposed to be looking at?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast