Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I just received an email from the Debian mailing list. They are going to be receiving $500 monthly from the LinuxFund for the next year. They mentioned that a regular ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

New funding source for Debian

I just received an email from the Debian mailing list. They are going to be receiving $500 monthly from the LinuxFund for the next year. They mentioned that a regular source of income should help substantially in the development of Debian.

Good news.

Jeff
    Registered Linux User #391940

oz
    forum.guy
    Cool... that winds up being a good sized chunk of change by years end. I'm sure they can use the income, too!

Good news indeed. I see on LinuxFund's webpage that they are in a sort of transition and that they are still looking for a couple of projects, if anyone has any recommendations, send them an email.
    Stumbling around the 'net:
    www.cloudyuseful.com

Linux Newbie
    I personally wouldn't mind paying them for software. The way things are right at the moment, I worry that they might
    not last.

oz
    forum.guy
    I really do believe Debian is going to survive but also think it does need to step back, reevaluate it's goals and current position, give some thought to the needs of users, then make any necessary adjustments and go forward.

Quote Originally Posted by junkman4547
    I personally wouldn't mind paying them for software. The way things are right at the moment, I worry that they might
    not last.
    Hmm... it seems to me that Debian is as strong as ever. Besides a million or so distros that are based on it, it is widely known as one of the most stable distros, perfect for servers. Also, it is free, and as far as I know intends to stay that way, unlike some distros.
    www.cloudyuseful.com

when i have the money i would gladly pay 40+ for a premium debian distro. i've only been using it for about 2-3 weeks and i like what i see.
    Here's why Linux is easier than Windows:
    Package Managers! Apt-Get and Portage (among others) allow users to install programs MUCH easier than Windows can.
    Hardware Drivers. In SuSE, ALL the hardware is detected and installed automatically! How is this harder than Windows' constant disc changing and rebooting?

Really? $500 a month? Wow, I'm sure the monetary equivalent of one part time worker wouldn't even be noticed by any significant commercial OS (including commercial Linux distributions).

If this is the sort of money which significantly helps Debian stay alive, then there's no danger of it going away. There are enough commercial distributions dependent on Debian to trivially bail out the project with many times that much money in donations, if it ever comes to that.
    Isaac Kuo, ICQ 29055726 or Yahoo mechdan

I just can't understand this something for nothing mentality that is prevalent today. Though I'm sure most of those who provide programming skills to a given project don't mind giving up some of their free time but I'm sure if they have something else come up it's put on the back burner where as those Distro's that you pay for has a full time staff working on it.

I'm sure most who love these free Distro's wouldn't mind not giving up their pay for say 1 to 2 days a week.

Quote Originally Posted by LondoJowo
    I just can't understand this something for nothing mentality that is prevalent today.
    When I mentioned that I liked the fact that Debian is free, I should have said open source. That is to say, I like the fact that it's free as in free speech, not as in free beer.
    www.cloudyuseful.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast