Find the answer to your Linux question:
I just received a copy of the "Debian GNU/Linux 3.1 Bible" that was published by Wiley on August 1st, 2005. It was announced in July 2004. I have had a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

New - Debian GNU/Linux 3.1 Bible

I just received a copy of the "Debian GNU/Linux 3.1 Bible" that was published by Wiley on August 1st, 2005.

It was announced in July 2004. I have had a copy on order since the initial announcement. That was about the time I was switching over from Suse to Debian and I wanted a current reference. Evidently, wiley was waiting for the recent release of Sarge.

The book is very current. It includes a 1 CD distribution of the current release Debian Sarge. It also includes the most recent release of Knoppix on a separte CD to try out "Debian" before jumping in completely and installing it on your hard drive.

The book was authored by three experienced Debian developers. I found that it is well written and easy to read. The material is focused from beginner to at least a very experienced user if not expert. At 640 pages, it is well detailed. One feature I particularly liked is the detailed index. Many technical books have poor quality indices.

As described, the book covers installation and configuration from hardware to networks. It seems to assume that the initial installation will go well. From my experience with Sarge, it usually does. It give a little more detail for configuring X Window. That is the usual place many will have problems.

I also have a copy of "Debian GNU/Linux 2.1 Unleashed" published by Sams in 1999. Naturally it is a little dated. Its coverage is much more comprehensive having over 1100 pages. Most of the additional coverage is in the area of programming. It provides a survey of many languages and techniques. The Wiley version primarily covers shell operations and programming since its focus is on installation and configuration.

All in all, I would recommend the Wiley book particularly to novices and intermediated Debian users. I'm sure even gurus would find something useful even though much of the information is available on the net. It is covered in one place in a logical order and is in a hard copy. I personally like having a book. I can underline important details and bookmark, sticky note, and dog ear wherever I think necessary.

My total cost to Texas including standard shipping was $31. As usual, service from Amazon was excellent. Even with standard shipping, I received the book in two days once it was available.

Jeff
    Registered Linux User #391940

oz
    forum.guy
    I've seen that book and thought it looked like it would be a great one to have on hand. I'll probably be trying Debian again in the next few months so will likely buy a copy. Glad you are happy with yours.

Just Joined!
    I ordered the book also. Hopefully mine will be in the mail today or tomorrow. I ordered mine from Wal-mart, total cost including shipping is $24.67. I am glad you like it and looking forward to it myself.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Nice thing about a Debian book (unlike other computer books) is at least you know the book will be current for the next few years.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Very funny.

I have the book and it is very well written.
    Not as in-depth on some areas (desktop) as I would've liked.

But definitely worth the investment.
    The two included CD's are nice as well.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Linux Newbie
    what are some of the contents of this bible......i might buy one if useful
    regards,
    ordoni

oz
    forum.guy
    Hey, ordoni... here's the table of contents if that helps any:

Code:
    Debian GNU/Linux 3.1 Bible
    TABLE OF CONTENTS
    PART I: THE FUNDAMENTALS.

1. The Debian Project.

2. Debian Installation.

3. Using the Shell and Filesystem.

4. Software Mangement.

5. Basic System Administration.

6. Performing Backups.

PART II: THE LINUX DESKTOP.

7. Configuring Graphics and Sound: The KDE and GNOME Desktop.

8. Environments.

9. Internet Applications.

10. Publishing and Printing.

11. Digital Photography and Multimedia.

12. Games.

PART III: THE INTERNET SERVER.

13. Internet Security.

14. Public E-Mail Servers.

15. Web Serving.

16. File Transfer Services.

17. The Domain Name System.

18. Remote Access.

PART IV: THE INTRANET SERVER.

19. Workstation Network and Internet Access.

20. File Serving and Sharing.

21. Shared User Directory.

22. Intranet E-Mail and Groupware Servers.

23. Printing Services.

24. Database Servers.

PART V: THE DEVELOPER.

25. The Debian Community.

26. Debian Packages.

27. Debian Archives.

Appendix A: What's On The CD-ROMs?

Appendix B: Debian Constitution.

Index.

Quote Originally Posted by ordoni
    what are some of the contents of this bible......i might buy one if useful
    Debian 3.1 Bible Contents & Description
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.