Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi All, I've been using Redhat FC3 for some time now and I want to switch to Debian or a Debian-based project like Umuntu. I have the install disk for ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Redhat can but Debian/Umbuntu Can't?

Hi All,

I've been using Redhat FC3 for some time now and I want to switch to Debian or a Debian-based project like Umuntu. I have the install disk for Umbuntu 5.04 and tried to install it last night. There were two issues that stumped me:

1) Umbuntu detected my 3com card (3C905B-TX) but after the install was complete, I could not pass packages through it. I could ping my loopback, the ip address I assigned to the card, but not the gateway. I reinstalled Redhat and it picked the card up and I was on the Internet with no problem. Frustrated, I installed Debian 3.1 Sarge and the same issue came up that happened with Umbuntu. I know that Umbuntu is basically a Debian Distro, but what is happening with my card?

2) When I set up Debian, all was fine but when I set up Umbuntu it never provided me a place to set up a root account. I did the setup twice to make sure. It had me set up a user account but that was it. Am I missing something?

I very much would like to be an Umbuntu user but am stuck right now. Can someone please give me a nudge?

Thanks so much,

aquaboot

-Suzuki Roshi

Just Joined!
    Fancy meeting you here Mango55

check here:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com//RootSudo

and

http://ubuntuguide.org/

peace V

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the info. I think I understand the sudo thing now, but the NIC issue still has me stumped. Ideas?

Thanks,

Mango

Just Joined!
    hi mango55,

not sure if you fixed the issue, and I don't have the answer either but I had some similar issues with Sarge too. With 2.6 kernel my ethernet on a X20 laptop did the same thing. With 2.4 works fine but so far I did not have the time to find out what happens.

Just Joined!
    Thanks for your reply. I have a new Netgear ethernet card and will try it out with Ubuntu this weekend. I guess if that doesn't work, perhaps I need to email someone at Debian and find out about loading drivers at install time (something which I've never done before). I'll post on Sat. and let everyone know what happened.

Cheers,

Mango