Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Originally Posted by phreakshew Hello- I am very very new to LInux- Just bought "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Linux" and saw "linux Unleashed" in the store for $10. That ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Re: Is "LInux Unleashed" (1998) still relevant to current Debian & other distros?

Quote Originally Posted by phreakshew
    Hello- I am very very new to LInux- Just bought "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Linux" and saw "linux Unleashed" in the store for $10. That book was published way back in 1998, and I was just wondering if it would still be relevant.
    I have some Linux books published in 2000 and they have several sections that are out of date - alot changes in technology over 5 years.

I am running Debian. I also was thinking about the Debian Bible but $30 is more than $10, knowwhatImean?
    Yes, but better to pay a little more and get something that will help than to save a few bucks and get outdated information, IMO.

Linux Newbie
    Make do with online help. Within a couple of months, you will be able to pick up a new or like new copy of Debian GNU/Linux 3.1 Bible for pennies on the dollar.

Whenever you are looking for a book, search Amazon. When you find what you are looking for, click on the new & used link below the description. I generally find technical books there for as little as 99 cents plus the flat rate shipping - $3.50. Everything I have ordered this way has been in excellent condition. I have probably purchased 20+ texts this way.

I was only scammed one time and Amazon refunded the money.

You can't beat their system. Check it out.

Jeff

PS. I'm only a satisfied customer.
    Registered Linux User #391940

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by jlgreer1
    Whenever you are looking for a book, search Amazon. When you find what you are looking for, click on the new & used link below the description. I generally find technical books there for as little as 99 cents plus the flat rate shipping - $3.50. Everything I have ordered this way has been in excellent condition. I have probably purchased 20+ texts this way.
    I've always had good luck with the "used" books through them, too. Many times, the books look to be in "new" condition when I receive them, but for a fraction of the price.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie
    // used books in "like new" condition.....

That is exactly my point.

I just purchased "C++ GUI Programming With Qt3" a current text I recently read about and decided to order.

I received it a couple of days ago via Amazon's used books. I paid about 40% of the cover price including shipping. It is perfectly new. The seal on the included CD had never been broken.

I purchased it mainly for the non-commercial versions of Qt3 included for both Windows and X11/Linux. I have a cross platform database application I'm considering and thought I might write it in Qt3.

Jeff
    Registered Linux User #391940

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2