Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
This new book from Wiley is very well written. It is easy to read and contains a lot of "insider" information. Things that were difficult to understand in other Linux ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Debian GNU/Linux 3.1 Bible, revisited

This new book from Wiley is very well written. It is easy to read and contains a lot of "insider" information. Things that were difficult to understand in other Linux texts seem to flow smoothly through this book.

There is a small amount at the beginning devoted to install. All you really need is a command line install. Everything else can be configured after the install and tweaked for best operation.

If you need a Debian/Linux book, this one might be a good choice.

Jeff
    Registered Linux User #391940

Linux Newbie
    What a coincidence ! !

I just picked up a copy of this book at my local Barnes and Noble store and have been reading and poking along with the book instructions. Yes, I agree it's a very good Linux book.

Linux Newbie
    how come linux books are not GNU free !
    regards,
    ordoni

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by ordoni
    how come linux books are not GNU free !
    for one books are not software, so there are different licenses.
    The is a GNU Free Documentation License, but that has actually come under criticism by debian for being non-free (as in freedom)
    http://people.debian.org/~srivasta/P...tatement.xhtml
    Brilliant Mediocrity - Making Failure Look Good

Linux Newbie
    You can actually find a number of Linux books on the internet. Many of them are VERY good. I have quite a collection here at MACS.

However, I still like to hold non-virtual paper bound books. I can mark them, lay them down, stick my finger in a place to refer back and forth, etc....

There is just something very useful about a real book. Capt. Kirk made the same observation in the 23rd century.

Printing is very expensive though cheaper when spread out over a large number of copies. As computer books age, they become very cheap for the most part. I have found large numbers of very relevant texts at library bargain bins, bookstore mark downs and special bins, and especially on Amazon via their used book system.

Jeff

Just Joined!
    I just ordered this book, so I am pleased to see good reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by jlgreer1
    There is just something very useful about a real book. Capt. Kirk made the same observation in the 23rd century.
    Shouldn't that be "Capt. Kirk _will make_ the same observation in the 23rd century".<g>

Linux Newbie
    I guess will is more proper.

However, I watched the original Star Trek when it first aired. I was in junior high school at the time.

I felt like I was there. Some scientists thing time travel is already taking place. You never know.

Jeff

Just Joined!

Is "LInux Unleashed" (1998) still relevant to current Debian & other distros?

Hello- I am very very new to LInux- Just bought "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Linux" and saw "linux Unleashed" in the store for $10. That book was published way back in 1998, and I was just wondering if it would still be relevant. I am running Debian. I also was thinking about the Debian Bible but $30 is more than $10, knowwhatImean?

THANX!

oz
    forum.guy

Re: Is "LInux Unleashed" (1998) still relevant to current Debian & other distros?

Quote Originally Posted by phreakshew
    That book was published way back in 1998, and I was just wondering if it would still be relevant.
    Some of it probably will be relevant, but 7 years is a long time in Linux. Many things have changed.

There are a number of online books available for free reading. Just do a google search for free online linux books. You can also search these forums, as I know the links have been posted many times.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by jlgreer1
    I guess will is more proper.

However, I watched the original Star Trek when it first aired. I was in junior high school at the time.
    I watched the originals also, but I think most of them aired before I got into junior high.

I felt like I was there.
    I know what you mean.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast