Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Originally Posted by Vergil83 I have actually found the nv driver much more stable, and never install the proprietary one..... of course I don't play games True, if you don't ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Quote Originally Posted by Vergil83
    I have actually found the nv driver much more stable, and never install the proprietary one..... of course I don't play games
    True, if you don't need 3D acceleration (which I most certainly do) the nv driver should work just fine. There are those of us out there with unhealthy addictions to Doom 3 though.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Or if you just want to use the more complex screensavers....
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe
    Quote Originally Posted by Vergil83
    I have actually found the nv driver much more stable, and never install the proprietary one..... of course I don't play games
    True, if you don't need 3D acceleration (which I most certainly do) the nv driver should work just fine. There are those of us out there with unhealthy addictions to Doom 3 though.
    I installed Debian last night and the nv driver would not work at all with my Nvidia GeForce 6600GT card; the error log did not list it as a supported card. So I went to nvidia.com and found they have very good linux driver support (for various archs too). Its just a two step process: download the self installing driver, and install it. In my case, I had to install the kernel header files first though, which was quite easy using that graphical apt utility thing (can't remember the command right now). Oh, and they (nvidia) have an excellent readme that has great instructions and FAQs.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2