Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi you all Ive got the following problem: Ive got Debian 3.0 r2 release, but know there is a new version of Debian. When I hit apt-get update everything goes ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Problems with upgrading

Hi you all Ive got the following problem:

Ive got Debian 3.0 r2 release, but know there is a new version of Debian.
    When I hit apt-get update everything goes well, but when I hit apt-upgrade there is nothing to upgrade.

Can someone give some good servers for Sarge so that I can upgrade from it?

Or is something else wrong?
    Computers Are Like Air Conditioners... They\'re both useless with Windows open!

Just Joined!
    The command "apt-upgrade" is wrong.You can use "apt-get dist-upgrade" to upgrade to new release.

Linux Newbie
    Yeah well, ive installed the sarge distribution, and I still can't update my machine. It says I have installed all the new software there is. Example server:

ftp://ftp.surfnet.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/debian/ stable main

I want also to have unstable software and testing software for Sarge?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie
    Yeah well, ive installed the sarge distribution, and I still can't update my machine. It says I have installed all the new software there is. Example server:

ftp://ftp.surfnet.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/debian/ stable main

I want also to have unstable software and testing software for Sarge?

Just Joined!
    Since you are on the stable version, and your apt sources are set to the stable version, the only time you will get updates are when they update the stable version. Woody was updated 3 times while stable, over a year and a half. So the first update of Sarge will probably be around Christmas. Unstable and testing packages do not go straight into stable, you'll have to either upgrade to testing or unstable, or add certain things from testing or unstable to your Sarge install.

If you need to show apt where you want to download patches from. You'll have to update /etc/apt/sources.list. The line you would need to enter into the configuration file would be
    Code:
    deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ testing main contrib non-free
    . If you have any lines in there you want to inactivate, put a # at the front of the line, and apt will ignore it, and if you ever need it again, you can delete the # and reuse the line.

If you are worried about the download speed, you can use apt-spy or netselect-apt to help you find faster servers. You can also go to the mirror list at http://www.debian.org/mirror/list and change the url to one of the other available mirrors, but you'll have to find out which is the best server using

Linux Newbie
    Normally when I upgrade I also get Samba Versions, proftpd, etc, but now, I get nothing? My latest Samba version is 3.14a, while version 3.20 allready is released?

Just Joined!
    Debian does not always have the most upto date packages. That is because of how Debian updates. If you want something that is more upto date than what is in unstable, you'll have to go to the effort of downloading it and installing it.

Linux Newbie
    So this is an example of a server:

ftp://ftp.surfnet.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/debian/ stable unstable main

Or is my rule not good? Its not very well documented how to use the stable - unstable, etc

http://www.debian.org/releases/

stable is just that stable. It does not have the newest packages in it.
    testing is much "newer" than stable, it packages are usually only a couple weeks behind the source releases.
    unstable is newest. However, as the name implies it can be unstable.

If you want relatively new packages, run testing. If you want stability, run stable.

so if you want testing, use
    Code:
    ftp://ftp.surfnet.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/debian/ testing main
    http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/ap...s-sources.list
    Brilliant Mediocrity - Making Failure Look Good