Find the answer to your Linux question:
Several times lately, I have found my computer nearly paralyzed---running so slowly as to be essentially unusable. Quick check of system monitor shows updatedb running and using ~97% of CPU. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

updatedb locks system

Several times lately, I have found my computer nearly paralyzed---running so slowly as to be essentially unusable. Quick check of system monitor shows updatedb running and using ~97% of CPU. Killing it brings everything back to normal.

I have never messed with any cron settings, and this is the first issue with this setup since it was created many months ago.

Athlon XP2400, ABit MB, 1G ram, Ubuntu 5.0.4

Updatedb will use a considerable amount of CPU. This is just a stab, but if it has been running with less noticeable system slow-downs, then I would surmise that you have some directories on your system that are perhaps large or densely populated, and the updatedb command is encountering some sluggish behavior during this time.

Try pruning some of the non-essential paths and/or mounted partitions and then run updatedb again to see if there is any noticable difference. You can prune those directories in the /etc/updatedb.conf file under the title PRUNEPATHS.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.