Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi I use Ubuntu 5.04. I recently upgraded my Internet Connection to Broadband, using a router to access the web. I have configured the eth0 connection using DHCP, and after ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Strange Behaviour With Regards Internet

Hi

I use Ubuntu 5.04.

I recently upgraded my Internet Connection to Broadband, using a router to access the web.

I have configured the eth0 connection using DHCP, and after some tweaking I can now access most of the net.

The problem is that I cannot get to certain sites (such as Google and www.bbc.co.uk) without the browser coming up with a error which says:

'the connection was refused when attempting to contact [the website]'

With the BBC website, I managed to access it once, and have not been able to access it since, though I haven't changed any settings.

Also, I cannot sign in to GAIM, but can send and receive emails.

Any help would be much appreciated

J Quirk

Banned
    Do you have a firewall? If you do, what is it and what are its configurations? You most likely have one. Sometimes a firewall will block ports it doesn't associate with a program you use. Just giving you a possibility off the top of my head. Hope that helps.

Just Joined!
    Hi there

Thanks for the help.

My router does have a built in firewall, but there is limited configuration for it.

I wonder whether there is a way to get around this by configuring Linux, as my Windows partition - and other computers on the network - do not have the same difficulty. I do remember seeing another thread where a person had a problem similar to mine, and hope that my problem can be amended.

It would be nice if someone could give me some ideas, or an answer - I can't fathom it.

Also, how would I go about configuring ports for different programs?

J Quirk

Linux Newbie
    Try adjusting your cookie setting, some sites will refuse connection when you don't accept cookies.