Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have been working around the clock for the last 24 hours trying to modify the debian 2.4.27 kernel. Basically I just need to add in some networking options so ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Kernel Modification Failing

I have been working around the clock for the last 24 hours trying to modify the debian 2.4.27 kernel. Basically I just need to add in some networking options so that I can configure LVS (Linux Virtual Server). The problem that I am having is that for some reason it is not pulling in my hardware that was originally working before the modification. Here are the steps that I am taking:

1. cp the config file from boot the the source directory.
    2. run make oldconfig
    3. run make menuconfig
    4. select the additional networking components that I need
    5 build the package (make dep && make clean && make bzImage && make modules && make modules_install)

Everything seems to work fine until I reboot the system. Once I reboot, all networking dies. ETH0 is no longer existant.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Erm... did you copy the new bzimage over to /boot/ and then add an option for the new kernel to the /etc/lilo.conf if your using lilo, or /boot/grub/menu.lst if useing GrUB ?

It's useful to keep the old kernel image on the bootloaders menu at boot if anything goes wrong with the new one...
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Just Joined!
    Yes, I copied the image over to the boot directory and renamed it to vmlinux-test1. Then ran update-grub to add it to the menu. Finding the kernel and running it is not the problem. The problem is that it seems to lose all of my network drivers and I havent checked for others that might be missing.

Just Joined!
    Can you bring up the network interface with
    >>/sbin/ifup eth0

Maybe the network card driver module wasn't compiled in your kernel, or not properly loaded... Is there any error in the network card module loading at bootup ( if you configured your network card as a module that is )