Find the answer to your Linux question:
See I always was afraid of linux for one reason; if something broke on me I would be helpless. I was doing real good until I started up my system ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Synaptic source package list file missing/corrupt HELP!

See I always was afraid of linux for one reason; if something broke on me I would be helpless. I was doing real good until I started up my system today and wanted to install some gtk stuff when I got this message from synaptic:

W: Couldn't stat source package list file: unstable/contrib Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/_mnt_iso:%5bDebian%20GNU_Linux%203.1%20r0%20%5fSar ge%5f%20-%20Official%20i386%20Binary-1%20(20050605)%5d_dists_unstable_contrib_binary-i386_Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)
    W: Couldn't stat source package list file: unstable/main Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/_mnt_iso:%5bDebian%20GNU_Linux%203.1%20r0%20%5fSar ge%5f%20-%20Official%20i386%20Binary-1%20(20050605)%5d_dists_unstable_main_binary-i386_Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)

Now I feel helpless and this is a big problem because synaptic shows everything as installed and I have no way of adding new packages.

What do I do? Is there a backup of the file i can restore somewhere? Is there a repair method or utility? The system runs fine and maybe I can learn to live without synaptic for now but how do I install .deb files from the command line?

Any help you folks have for me is greatly appreciated.

you can install any .deb from the command line with
    Code:
    dpkg -i program_name.deb
    To try to fix the synaptic problem....

run
    Code:
    apt-get -f install
    then
    Code:
    apt-get update
    Then try. If that doesn't work, post your
    Code:
    /etc/apt/sources.list
    file
    Brilliant Mediocrity - Making Failure Look Good

Just Joined!

kinda fixed it

I got it to work after relaxing for a bit and kicking back a few beers. Turns out the repository url:
    cdrom:/[Debian GNU/Linux 3.1 r0 _Sarge_ - Official i386 Binary-1 (20050605)]/
    did not want to work anymore. I could not get that url to work again but I did manage to get the file:///cdrom/ to work fine. Thanks for the help and I made note of the commands you gave me for future refrence.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close