Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
My Ubuntu installation onto my laptop crashes when installing the base system, at around 6%. The log it says I have to check doesn't exist! Any ideas or is this ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Ubuntu Install problems

My Ubuntu installation onto my laptop crashes when installing the base system, at around 6%. The log it says I have to check doesn't exist! Any ideas or is this too vague?

What is the name of the log?
    Brilliant Mediocrity - Making Failure Look Good

Did you check the integrity of the ISO when you downloaded it?

Bryan
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    yeah, MD5 was fine as far as I could tell. I will download it again just to check tho. can't remember what the log was! bootstrap sometying I think.

I'm not very good at this I was just looking for a fast, light, flexible distro for my laptop...

I notice you have Suse 10.0 in your info. Any reason you don't want to stick with it? It has a pretty good boot time and laptop support is great (acpi and backgrounding of network).

Bryan
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

Just Joined!
    i feel like such a fool - just downloaded ubuntu again and install worked first time... sorry for being such a loser!

I'm sticking with suse for my desktop - i love it - i'm really impressed! But I was looking for something lighter for an old-ish laptop I have that doesn't get used for much. So I thought why not try another distro, with another GUI and see what happens - you can never learn too much!

Just Joined!
    I am also having trouble installing linux. I installed it fine on my old vaio machine but when tryinr to installing on my AMD 64 machine it always stops at about 86% on copying files. I have a sata DVD burning, and I thought that was the problem sho I put in a ide cdrom drive and still no success. I also tried installing from a flash drive.

Any ideas?

are you using the intel distro of ubuntu or did you get the 64bit version?

Just Joined!

Ubuntu Installation Problem.

Hi!
    I ‘ve a celeron 1.2Ghz 128MB RAM 30GB PC with Windows Xp. I tried top install ubuntu 6.0 with the free installation CD (live CD). After asking for the option to boot, I choose 1st option of install. Then i see some programming being done & there is some checking also with every answer as OK. thereafter a brown screen appears & i see a dialouge box. On it i see, ubuntu logo & “windows manager” as text only. Then, nothing happens & only the brown screen remains. If i try to eject the cd, it is not possible & i can hear the cd being used. Ultimately I ‘ve to restart the PC forcefully.

Plz guide me how to solve this prob. Thanx in Advance.

Quote Originally Posted by sunny_cadelhi
    If i try to eject the cd, it is not possible & i can hear the cd being used. Ultimately I ‘ve to restart the PC forcefully.
    i didn't get it. did you install Ubuntu or not ? are you booting from Ubuntu CD after installation ?

casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast