Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I'm the biggest linux 'newb' ever so go easy on me . I've installed Ubuntu off the CD, etc. yet my Wireless PCMCIA card does not seem to work. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Wireless PCMCIA not working in Ubuntu

Hi, I'm the biggest linux 'newb' ever so go easy on me .

I've installed Ubuntu off the CD, etc. yet my Wireless PCMCIA card does not seem to work. It lights up as in power, but in network connections it doesn't come up. I've tried with a different wireless pcmcia card, and then with a wireless USB dongle and none of them worked!

The wireless PCMCIA 1 / USB dongle were both linksys wireless B, both a load of letters then version 4. (mislaid atm so cant tell you exact details! lol) and the other wireless PCMCIA is an EZ Connect Wireless made by SMC. odel no. SMC2632W. This one doesnt even light up when its plugged in.

The computer is a laptop - an Advent 7003 with an intel pentium 4, the specs can be found here. Its fairly powerful and runs ubuntu ok (i tried slackware initially, trying to jump in at the deep end, and i couldnt even get the screen to display properly).

Any help would be appreciated, I'm pretty much going to need step by step instructions. I'm getting tempted to go back to Winxp!

Thanks in advance anyone
    Rich

I know this isn't going to answer you question but I am having a similar problem and instead of creating a new post, just replying and getting help.

I have a Airlink 101 Cardbus Adapter - AWLC5025 and I'm trying to get it installed on my IBM laptop. As of now, I am having the same problem where I get power and no Link signal. Obviously this is due to my drivers, but I cannot find any deb drivers for this card. Any suggestions? or just a new card?

Thanks.

Linux Enthusiast
    Both of you have pretty much the same options: Using ndiswrapper (which I have no experience with) or searching for a Linux driver for your specific adapter chipset. I've never had an experience with ndiswrapper, but many people say it's good (I went with the other suggestion and found the driver online, there's actually 2 driver's available for my chipset).

Either way, it might be a good idea to mention if the command "iwconfig" give you anything useful.

I had a similar prob not to long ang and I put up a post how to with ndiswrapper, so do a forum search for "setting up wifi internet with ndiswrapper for n00bs.

this should get you there and i did it all in kubuntu so all the steps should be the same for ubuntu

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/lin...per-n00bs.html

When i put mine in i had to enable the card manually. You might need to go into your network devices and automatically enable it and set it up to be enabled at start up even.

With Kubuntu ath0 wasn't automatically mapped for hotplug when i installed. Which distro are you using?
    Running Linux Since 2001
    Registered Linux User #430868 - Since 91206

Also, i don't know how much this will help you but here is a howto that was written for Athero's cards. It's for Fedora but can work for other distro's as well.

Madwifi Howto
    Running Linux Since 2001
    Registered Linux User #430868 - Since 91206

Just Joined!

Ubuntu 6 w/Belkin G+ in slot

I have the same issue with Ubuntu 6, I have a Belkin Wireless G+, installed ndiswrapper and drivers from CD, but have no power to the PCMCIA port. Dev Mgr says it's there, but the port does not power on. Any ideas?

Just Joined!

Question Ubuntu 6 w/Belkin G in slot

I have loaded Ubuntu Edgy on an Acer Travelmate 2500 laptop and it all works fine except like you, no power to the Belkin F5D7010uk pcmcia wifi card which is supposed to work out of the box.
    Any ideas?