Find the answer to your Linux question:
hello, I'm hoping (with your help ) I can get a program to run from boot time in debian. Basically I want the system to boot and launch straight into ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

auto run a program from boot

hello, I'm hoping (with your help ) I can get a program to run from boot time in debian. Basically I want the system to boot and launch straight into the program without going into x or asking for a passwords etc. Can anyone advise how I do this? Thanks

This sounds like two distinct requests. If you don't want to start X when the system boots, go into your /etc/inittab and change the default runlevel to 3.
    To start a program automatically, go into /etc/init.d and create a script that starts the program, then make a link in /etc/rc3.d that points to that script. Follow the conventions used by other contents of those folders, and check the man pages for specific guidance.
    Stand up and be counted as a Linux user!

Linux User
    In Debian everything starts at Runlevel 2. Run levels 2-5 are set the same.

If X is installed and the system currently starts it at boot you can change that behavior by not running kdm, gdm, or xdm at boot. Debian usually installs gdm by default when you select Desktop-Environment at setup. to easily disable it..
    mv /etc/rc2.d/S99gdm /etc/rc2.d/K99gdm

to get a progam to start at boot time you should look into wrinting an init script and adding it to the proper location in /etc/init.d, then provinding the proper symlinks in the appropriate runlevels (rc2.d as mentioned earlier) ..
    http://www.debian-administration.org/articles/28

Other More Detailed references for System Startup
    http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-opersys.html Section 9.3 etc..
    far...out