Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm using Ubuntu 5.10 Breezy Badger using KDE for my desktop environment. I am currently trying to log in as root but everytime I attempt to start the Login Screen ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Login Screen Setup Issues

I'm using Ubuntu 5.10 Breezy Badger using KDE for my desktop environment. I am currently trying to log in as root but everytime I attempt to start the Login Screen Setup program so I can allow for root login, it prompts for a password then just goes away after I type it in. Is there an issue or should I be using something else to change whether I can log in as root or not.

By default Ubuntu does not let you log in as root. If you log in as a standard user there is an option to configure GDM under "System" where you can allow login by root.
    Registered Linux user #389109
    My Semi-Linux Blog

Linux Newbie
    Yes, I am trying to access the Login Screen Setup. I find ubuntuguide to be quite helpful, but I didn't expect running into problems like this. it prompts for a password and when I type it in, press okay or whatever, it just closes and no new window opens up. This is what I'm trying to fix.