Find the answer to your Linux question:
Ive just installed Ubuntu 5.10 on my Desktop PC, (3.3GHz AMD processor, 1.5 Gb RAM, 300Gb disk space) and its really, really glitchy. Sudo dowsn't work, I type sudo, and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Lots of problems with Ubuntu 5.10

Ive just installed Ubuntu 5.10 on my Desktop PC, (3.3GHz AMD processor, 1.5 Gb RAM, 300Gb disk space) and its really, really glitchy. Sudo dowsn't work, I type sudo, and then the command, and it just returns to another command prompt. When I try to use login screen setup, disks-admin, update the system, or pretty much anything which requires a password, i enter the password, then the box just goes away. Nothing happens. I really want to use Ubuntu because it works so well on my Mac, but I find myself booting into Windows more and more often because Ubuntu just isn't working. Please Help!

TiA

Martin

hi
    I haven't found that many problems with it, but I did find that when I downloaded some packages, next day none of them were there. I'd recommend installind ubuntu 5.04, 'adding cd-rom' (ubuntu 5.10) to Synaptic Package Manager and clicking 'Mark all available updates' or 'mark all updates'. I'm only 13, so don't rely on it, but it worked for me. It then just ends up with an ubuntu 5.04 kernel with a 5.10 OS!
    fazza

Quote Originally Posted by Martin A
    Sudo dowsn't work, I type sudo, and then the command, and it just returns to another command prompt.
    Well, that's easy to fix...

Just type:
    Code:
    su
    then
    Code:
    visudo
    and add yourself to the sudoers.

You'll see a line like that:
    Code:
    root    ALL=(ALL) ALL
    add one just below with your username...
    Code:
    username    ALL=(ALL) ALL
    and that's the end of it.
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

Just Joined!
    That was exactly what I needed. Thanks!!

Hey, no problemo!
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

Just Joined!

Thanks!

Thanks, it also saved my life!

JF

Just Joined!

stubborn sudo permissions problem

I've used visudo to add a user to the "user privilege specification" stanza of /etc/sudoers, and the graphical user management utility shows the user to be part of the sudo group, but I'm still getting "sudo: must be setuid root" and "Su returned with error" messages. Any suggestions? This is on an edgy install.