Find the answer to your Linux question:
This one just has me completely stumped and I can't find any answers... I've got four Linux computers on a CUPS network in my house. Slackware, CentOS, SuSE and Debian ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Only Mozilla and Firefox won't print...(third time's a charm??)

This one just has me completely stumped and I can't find any answers...

I've got four Linux computers on a CUPS network in my house. Slackware, CentOS, SuSE and Debian Sarge. All machines are able to print to the print server which is on the CentOS box.

The Debian Sarge box also prints nicely from every application except Firefox and Mozilla web browsers! On this machine, the CUPS test page prints as does the KDEprint test page, Konqueror prints and all the editors. Why will Mozilla and Firefox not print?? When I try printing, it says it is sending it to the default printer, but nothing happens. Mozilla and Firefox print without problems on all the other boxes.

Does anyone have any ideas why every app on this Sarge box will print to the CUPS network printer except Firefox and Mozilla?

Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

Dapper
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan
    This one just has me completely stumped and I can't find any answers...

I've got four Linux computers on a CUPS network in my house. Slackware, CentOS, SuSE and Debian Sarge. All machines are able to print to the print server which is on the CentOS box.

The Debian Sarge box also prints nicely from every application except Firefox and Mozilla web browsers! On this machine, the CUPS test page prints as does the KDEprint test page, Konqueror prints and all the editors. Why will Mozilla and Firefox not print?? When I try printing, it says it is sending it to the default printer, but nothing happens. Mozilla and Firefox print without problems on all the other boxes.

Does anyone have any ideas why every app on this Sarge box will print to the CUPS network printer except Firefox and Mozilla?

Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

Dapper
    First of all, please do not flood these boards. Nobody wants to see 3 copies of your thread, and I'm sure prior to me, it's caused some people to NOT reply.

I've never had a problem printing from those programs personally, but in your position I would reinstall firefox first.

apt-get remove firefox
    apt-get install firefox

Shane

Quote Originally Posted by krazyshane
    First of all, please do not flood these boards. Nobody wants to see 3 copies of your thread, and I'm sure prior to me, it's caused some people to NOT reply.
    If you'd taken time to read this post you might have discovered I was having problems getting the thread to work properly. The other threads cannot be deleted. You should learn to leave matters such as this to the moderators which it's plain to see you are NOT one. I've been around here far longer than you and don't need your ranting and reading the law to me which is all you've really done here...

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    I have noticed the same thing when printing to a network printer. I run Sarge under VMWare on an XP notbook, and Mozilla applications, including Mail and Firefox say they print, but do nothing. OpenOffice and other apps print just fine. I definitely would like to hear about a resolution to this issue.

Whew! I hate to hear you're having problems too stuman, but it's kind of nice knowing I'm not the only one since I've tried just about everything I can think of and nothing seems to help. Does konqueror web browser print web pages ok for you?

Hey Dapper,

I think I have found a solution: http://www.madcarters.com/content/view/20/1/

Start reading at the 7th paragraph. It doesn't seem to be an intuitive solution but it sounds like it works from the responses. You would think it would be easier but then it wouldn't be fun .

It appears to be a solution for firefox < 1.5 but you could try it if you are using firefox >= 1.5.

Bryan
    Last edited by bryansmith; 03-28-2006 at 03:29 AM.
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

Thanks Bryan, I'll give it a go!

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by bryansmith View Post
    Hey Dapper,

I think I have found a solution: MadCarter's

Start reading at the 7th paragraph. It doesn't seem to be an intuitive solution but it sounds like it works from the responses. You would think it would be easier but then it wouldn't be fun .

It appears to be a solution for firefox < 1.5 but you could try it if you are using firefox >= 1.5.

Bryan
    Hi, I'm machiner -- I own madcarters. My Debian tutorial site moved to its own domain in June of 06. You can find all that great stuff that was on madcarters here: Home Page - debiantutorials.org

In fact, just use this address for the same printing tutorial:
    Printing in Debian (Firefox and Opera, too) - debiantutorials.org

Thanks for visiting. Comments, articles, money and dancing girls always welcome.

--machiner
    Last edited by machiner; 09-20-2007 at 12:16 AM. Reason: added my moniker