Find the answer to your Linux question:
Im intending to install xandros 3 on my sisters machine, its an intel celeron 800 mhz with 198mb ram? Do you think it would run ok? Or would it be ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Would xandros 3.0 be suitable for the following machine spec

Im intending to install xandros 3 on my sisters machine, its an intel celeron 800 mhz with 198mb ram? Do you think it would run ok? Or would it be rather sluggish with its kde desktop?

Secondly is the xandros networks completely free for updates and installing new applications (non comercial), or is it like linspires click n run service where you pay a subscription fee?

Thanks in advance

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by michael_aust
    Im intending to install xandros 3 on my sisters machine, its an intel celeron 800 mhz with 198mb ram? Do you think it would run ok? Or would it be rather sluggish with its kde desktop?
    Anything less than a 1gHz without at least 256-512MB of RAM will probably run KDE or Gnome sluggishly. Sadly you don't have a lot of choice out of the box with Xandros to use something more lightweight (as you do with other, freely-available Linux distributions like SuSE or Fedora).

Secondly is the xandros networks completely free for updates and installing new applications (non comercial), or is it like linspires click n run service where you pay a subscription fee?
    Last I checked (I run Xandros 3.0 at home) Xandros Networks is free for installing non-commercial apps and security updates, with an optional subscription for "Premium Membership" which I honestly don't know much about. I do know that you do not need to subscribe just to download new software or updates like Linspire's Click-N-Run Warehouse.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

I know for a fact that Debian Sarge with KDE 3.3.2 would be quite snappy on such a machine (a tryed on a similar one -- pentium 3, 900Mhz, 256 RAM).

Xandros looks pretty equivalent in terms of specs, so I guess: yes, would be ok.
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

thanks for the hklp, il see hwo it goes, if not il just do a net install or etch for her and put on xfce or something.

I was mainly thikign of xandros because she uses a usb wireless thingy to conenct to a wireless network and with xandros being a more comercial dstro i wasassuming support for such thing smay be a little easier to get going then say just a standard debian system.

i've had xandros running on a slightly slower machine than that and it runs pretty well. i can't deny thought that SimplyMEPIS ran a little better and let me configure my particular wireless card on it easier. Atheros drivers worked out of the box on it. i had to tweak it a little in Xandros. i'm not trying to start a this distro is better war just sharing my experience with the two. currently Xandros is on that box because it was easier to configure the shared printer.
    Desktop: Dual Xeon 2.8 GHz 1.5 GB RAM Ubuntu/XP Pro
    Laptop: Macbook 2 GHz C2Duo 3 GB RAM OS X/ Ubuntu/ XP Pro
    Linux Registration #396559

Go 'Stros!

well my sister isnt exactly computer savvy, so i was thinking of xandros because it treies to imitate windows so she shoudl be confortable wih that, plus i have no idea what hardware is in that machine so manually editing text files i couldnt be bothered with.

I will give mpeis 3.3.1 a rry I have that lying around from when i was using that a few months ago if xandros doesnt work well