Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I have just switched over from windows to linux. I had to get away from windows in my opinion I didint like it, plus have a lot of friends ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

A few questions about video.

Hello,

I have just switched over from windows to linux. I had to get away from windows in my opinion I didint like it, plus have a lot of friends that use linux.

My questions are:

I'v been using Knoppix 3.9 for a while to figure out my errors.

My main error is when I installed Debian. My X - Server wont start it says

No screens Found

I have seen a lot of topics on this but Iv done every thing. My screen is a Samsung Syncmaster 914V and my Video card is a ATI radeon 9250 PCI not AGP.

I just cant seem to get my display right to my normal settings That I like in windows. 1152 x ***. Please some one help me out. I would really be thankfull

Thank you,

Jason Heil

Quote Originally Posted by Jason_Heil
    I'v been using Knoppix 3.9 for a while to figure out my errors.
    I have seen a lot of topics on this but Iv done every thing. My screen is a Samsung Syncmaster 914V and my Video card is a ATI radeon 9250 PCI not AGP.
    Debian Sarge, and the same for Knoppix 3.9, are both using the legacy X server called xfree86, and their configuration file is the same: /etc/X11/XF86Config-4.

Just use your working /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 (the Knoppix one), and copy it over the Debian one.

Debian's X will work like a charm then.
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

Just Joined!

Hmmm

Ok. Thats the main prob. I have the same problemb in Knoppix. But I can get a 800x600 screen resolution witch is still way to big. I cant change it in knoppix or Debian.

Just Joined!
    If you can get Knoppix to work with 800x600, copy the /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file from Knoppix to your hard drive as /etc/X11/XF86Config-4

Next, become root in Debian and edit the file on your hard drive with any text editor (nano or vim are two console text editors--try nano first if you have it as it's not as confusing as vim if you haven't used it before). Towards the end of that file you'll see a line with some resolutions enclosed in quotes like
    Code:
    Modes      "800x600" "640x480"
    or similar (you may have more or less listings there).

If you see this on multiple lines you only need to change the one for a Depth of 24 (if in doubt you can change them all its not a problem)...

just add your new resolution in before the existing ones, so it looks like:
    Code:
    Modes      "NNNNxNNN" "800x600" "640x480"
    obviously replacing the Ns with your resolution.

Then restart the X server or GDM and you should have your new resolution as an option (if not already set).

Hope this helps!

Of course you want to put there a resolution that is compatible with your video card, such as "1024x768", or "1280x960", etc.
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee