Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I have just installed Ubuntu 5.10 and i have a huge problem. The sudo command is not working, what happens is this: when i type for example Code: sudo vim ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Just installed Ubuntu **SOLVED**

I have just installed Ubuntu 5.10 and i have a huge problem.
    The sudo command is not working, what happens is this:

when i type for example
    Code:
    sudo vim /etc/apt/sources.list
    i get prompted for passwd but when i give it (the password) nothing happens, i just return to my normal usermode prompt.
    The same thing is going on with Gnome as well, when i try to open a administrator application i am being asked for password but then when i type the password (again) nothing hapens, i just wait and wait and wait.
    I am just typing my normal user passwd, what could be wrong?????
    I hope someone can help me with that because basically i can't do anything with the way things are right now.

Linux Engineer
    1) make sure you are a member of the wheel group. Login as your user and then type groups, if wheel is listed then you are in wheel already. If not just run as root "gpasswd -a username wheel". However, since you are getting the password prompt you are in the wheel group.

2) The sudo password is different from your root password, so to make things simpler you can edit your /etc/sudoers file to allow the specific user access to sudo without password. In the /etc/sudoers file you should see a line similar to this: root ALL=(ALL) ALL. After the line add another that looks like this: username ALL=(ALL) ALL. The specified user will then be able to sudo without a password.

Quote Originally Posted by nikolaos
    I have just installed Ubuntu 5.10 ...
    Of course, you realize that this is your main problem
    Operating System: GNU Emacs

Did sudo ever work or has it only recently began to stop working?
    If you haven't made any changes, it should work. Have you tried setting a root password?
    Code:
    sudo passwd root
    If that works, you can at least su into root. That might suffice for you (did for me when I used Ubuntu) but if not (or it doesn't work), let us know.

Bryan
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

Check out this thread:
    http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/deb...tu-5-10-a.html

I think this is exactly what's happening to you.
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

Linux Engineer
    hey, didn't I say that?
    Operating System: GNU Emacs

Oups, sorry.

I didn't read your message. Now that I did, yep, you said it.

I'll pay attention next time.
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

I did change sudoers but nothing different happened. The thing is that i used su to edit sudoers, and ok i now how to use su but sudo still doesn't work.
    I tried to change the permissions of sudoers but the shell said that it can only be 0440. So, what now?
    Can i go on using su just like in the other distros or will i have any problems???

oh, yes AND i don't have any wheels group and i cannot insert it because sudo doesn't work

-Bruce Lee

yes i did, that is exactly what i did. it still doesn't work.
    Should i try installing Ubuntu from another cd?

Quote Originally Posted by nikolaos
    I did change sudoers but nothing different happened. The thing is that i used su to edit sudoers, and ok i now how to use su but sudo still doesn't work.
    If su works, why do you need sudo? You can run everything you could with sudo using su. Apparently I don't understand your problem.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast