Find the answer to your Linux question:
Alright, I've just reinstalled sarge on my system, and here's my fstab: proc /proc proc defaults 0 0 /dev/hda2 / reiserfs rw,notail 0 1 /dev/hda3 none swap sw 0 0 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

HDD Permissions

Alright, I've just reinstalled sarge on my system, and here's my fstab:

proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
    /dev/hda2 / reiserfs rw,notail 0 1
    /dev/hda3 none swap sw 0 0
    /dev/hdc /media/cdrom0 iso9660 rw,user,noauto 0 0
    /dev/fd0 /media/floppy0 auto rw,user,noauto 0 0
    So how do I change the drive permissions so my primary (non-root) user is the owner of the drive (hda2)? I'm afraid I'm a bit inept when it comes to console commands, but I'm using kde, and the GUI is very friendly. It just doesn't, for some stupid reason, have a root enable under folder properties.

try using a umask option. This works a bit like a chmod but the numbers are reversed (it being a mask). The following allows me to give everybosy access to my windows partition :-
    Code:
    /dev/hdc1               /mnt/dos                vfat    umask=0000,auto,noexec   0 0

Nerderello

Use Suse 10.1 and occasionally play with Kubuntu
    Also have Windows 98SE and BeOS

Just Joined!
    Noooo!!!! Nerderello, you've nuked my filesystem (again!) Goddamnit.

Okay, here's the deal: I've explained my problem in full. I've taken the advice of two people who seem to know what they were talking about. Both of them have been wrong. I've explained how a Knoppix boot doesn't work. My feedback was ignored. I tried editing the fstab system with a umask command. First of all, it's a reisrfs system, not a vfat partition. I don't know why, but when I put in that string on fstab, it reverted to "read-only partition."

I'm willing to try this all one more time. I'm going to check this thread again in 48 hours, and if there isn't something resembling a sane/helpfull response, I'm going to stick with M$ Windows. And I really don't want to have to do that, but the lack of communication and prompt responses on the Linux end have frustrated me to no end with Debian sarge, and it's a really idiotic problem in the first place. That's it. I'm BEGGING you guys for help here, but I'm a professional writer and unfortunately time is money. I need a functional computer, and it would appear that the documentation doesn't cover this problem at all.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close