Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Problem with udev and a pendrive

Hi everyone, im using Debian Sarge 3.1 with 2.6 kernel, a few days ago, i updated from sarge(texting) to Sarge(stable), and udev was installed, now i cant use any of my usb ports
    in /dev there are no sd*, also my webcam is not working.
    how do i make udev work well?
    tanks

Hi.......

There's something that we need to get clear....you say: "i updated from sarge(texting) to Sarge(stable)" I suppose that you're trying to say that Update or Upgrade from Testing to Stable

Ok, first, there's no Sarge (testing), the codename of testing branch is Etch, also, if you change from testing to stable you're "downgradding"

So, exactly what you did?

Reegards

Bye

Just Joined!
    well, i have the debian 14 cds, and i aquire them when Sarge was in Testing, thats what i meant with Sarge(testing). then i change my /etc/apt/sources.list
    by adding this line:
    deb ftp://ftp.debian.org/stable main ... etc
    then apt-get update, apt-get updrade, apt-get dist-upgrade
    after doing this, i noticed that udev has been installed, and my problem began

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Uhm....but, if you using a stable repository "today" you are getting the packages for the Sarge (stable) branch

You could try reinstalling udev though in the case there's an issue with the package you install, but still is wired, the package of udev is complety stable in sarge repositories

Other thing that you should check it out is if you can mount it manually...

Reegards

Bye

hi..
    i've allready try to reinstalling, and also tryed to mounted manually, but din't work, something extrange is that,i try ubunto live cd, and i culd'n mount my pendrive on it, wich i used to be able to do. thats really extrange, but im sure that my pendrive works fine, cause i do can mount it on knoppix aon also on windows.
    ehat could the problem be????

I actually had to downgrade to the testing udev instead of unstable because of this very reason. It won't let me use any of my usb drives.

Just downgrade your udev to use the testing version, and watch the bug reports to see what happens.

Code is Poetry