Find the answer to your Linux question:
hey, i used to have nvidia-kernel 2.6.15-1-568tsc, but i've deleted it by mistake in Synaptic (Mepis3.4-3)... I can't open X anymore and i get the error FATAL: Could not open ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

lost nvidia-files....no X **SOLVED**

hey,

i used to have nvidia-kernel 2.6.15-1-568tsc, but i've deleted it by mistake in Synaptic (Mepis3.4-3)...
    I can't open X anymore and i get the error FATAL: Could not open /lib/modules/2.6.5-1-586tsc/nvidia/nvidia.ko
    Commandline works. My video card is Geforce 4 MX440. I tried apt-get install nvidia-kernel-source/common , typing "Restarx" doesn't...
    Nothing helps

how can i re-install this with commandline ? please help

try as root
    dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg if you running etch or if your running sarge dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86

then go through the steps for setting up x again, your xorg or xfree86 file is pointing it to the nvidia driver, but they dont exist. So redoing the the xserver with the nv driver and then testing x. If it works go and do the procedure for installing the nvidia drivers again and it should work.

Just Joined!
    Update:

i succeeded to install nvidia-kernel-2.6.15-1-586tsc, because "uname -r" gives this outpost:2.6.15-1-586tsc, but i get this error now:
    Code:
    ERROR: API mismatch: the NVIDIA kernel module is version 1.0.7174, 
    but this X module is version 1.0.8178. Please be sure that your kernel module
    and all NVIDIA driver files have the same driver version
    it is possible that i have installed more than one nvidia-kernel drivers, i'm not sure

please help

What probably happened is the version you installed first was the newer one, and when you just reinstalled, you reinstalled the older one by mistake. Now you have a newer X module ( 8178 ) and an older kernel module ( 7174 ). You'll need to either uninstall and reinstall both so they match, or just uninstall and reinstall the newer kernel module ( 8178 ).
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe
    What probably happened is the version you installed first was the newer one, and when you just reinstalled, you reinstalled the older one by mistake. Now you have a newer X module ( 8178 ) and an older kernel module ( 7174 ). You'll need to either uninstall and reinstall both so they match, or just uninstall and reinstall the newer kernel module ( 8178 ).
    how can i do that ?

Quote Originally Posted by tergemble
    how can i do that ?
    What process did you follow to install the Nvidia drivers the first time? You should be able to remove them (apt-get remove nvidia where "nvidia" is the name of the 2 packages already installed) and then reinstall the same way.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe
    What process did you follow to install the Nvidia drivers the first time? You should be able to remove them (apt-get remove nvidia where "nvidia" is the name of the 2 packages already installed) and then reinstall the same way.
    thanx, it's solved !

what i have done

apt-get remove nvidia-kernel-common (removes everyting related to nVidia)
    uname -r (shows my kernel version)
    apt-cache search nvidia (look for a nvidia driver, has to be the same version as my kernel)
    apt-get install nvidia-kernel-2.x.x.x

exit root
    startx ....and my problem is solved

**SOLVED** thanks