Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi folks. I'm getting less n00bish as time passes. Funny how that works. FYIs: This Linux box is pretty new, too -- and when I say new, I mean 4-year-old ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

frontend locking debconf/config.dat - trying to install alsa

Hi folks. I'm getting less n00bish as time passes. Funny how that works.

FYIs: This Linux box is pretty new, too -- and when I say new, I mean 4-year-old hardware =D I'm running a 2.4.27-2-386 Sarge kernel. I lost power recently, which screwed up some stuff. I screwed up some other things fixing that (like deleting /log -- I had to recreate a few folders to get daemons running again), but I eventually found a fix (changing the permissions on something so that X-Windows would load up .. whatever.. it was weird)

Anyway. So, I'm trying to install alsa in an attempt to improve sound on this this ol' box. However, when I run `apt-get install alsa' I get the error
    debconf: DbDriver "config": /var/cache/debconf/config.dat is locked by another process
    That `another process' is, in fact, frontend. Now, I'd just kill frontend and get on with it ... but it's frontend.

Any suggestions on how to get frontend to cooperate with apt-get or dpkg so I can install alsa? Should I try logging out of Gnome, SSHing in on root, and running apt-get then? (That's assuming that frontend won't be running if Gnome ain't.)

installing alsa on 2.4 is a little more work than that. Try
    Code:
    apt-get install alsa-modules-2.4.27-2-386 alsa-base alsa-utils
    then run
    Code:
    alsaconf
    Brilliant Mediocrity - Making Failure Look Good

also you might try using module-assistant. You will have to install it first

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close

same issue

When I'm trying to install those packages, I have the same issue with frontend locking debconf/config.dat. How do I get apt-get/debconf and frontend to play nice?

I am not sure what this frontend program is (is that its actual name). I have never heard of it before.......

I would try to kill it and see what happens

Killing frontend ... not so useful.

When I tried killing frontend initially, I was using the Gnome X-windows interface. It made the screen spazz out for a second; when I hit CAD, it went back to normal. I think frontend got restarted then too.

Right now, I'm sshed into the computer from another one. I can kill frontend fine, but when I run apt-get, it looks like it restarts frontend. I'm guessing it's a Debian-specific daemon, but then it's supposed to cooperate with apt-get.

Same issue with module-assistant as with apt-get.