Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi. I recently installed Debian on my Dell Precision M70 with a NVidia FX Go1400, and when I finished installing, I found that I did not have any graphical interface, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

No graphical interface upon installation

Hi. I recently installed Debian on my Dell Precision M70 with a NVidia FX Go1400, and when I finished installing, I found that I did not have any graphical interface, only the command line. After a few attempts at starting xserver, my computer threw the following error:

I cannot start the X server (Your graphical interface). It is likely that it is not set up correctly.

When I view the X server output I see a few version numbers:
    XFree86Version 4.3.0.1
    XProtocol Version 11.

I tried the command 'startx' and it said:
    fatal error: No screens found

Can anybody help me? Thanks.

Linux Newbie
    apt-get x-window-system

That oughtta work... but you should get familiar witht the command line anyway.

Luck,
    Dan

oz
    forum.guy
    Welcome to the forums, Blazeix.

It's been several years since I installed Debian, but I think you'll need to do apt-get install x-window-system if you haven't done so already.

Edit: oops... DoctorDan was faster than me.
    oz

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Did you install the nvidia drivers and x-windows-system? In the case you're not have them installed

Like root, type:
    Code:
    apt-get install nvidia-kernel-source nvidia-kernel-common module-assistant x-windows-system
    Then is all that installed, type:
    Code:
    m-a prepare && m-a a-i nvidia
    Almost done, you now need to, or reconfigure the Xserver or change a little bit the code in XF86Config-4

1) to reconfigure:
    Code:
    dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86
    When you get to the prompt of What driver use, choose "nvidia" then, you don't need much, just accept the default values of the reconfiguration of the xserver (at least that you now that there is a need to change something)

2) Just modifying the XF86Config-4:

Code:
    nano /etc/X11/XF86Config-4
    and press Enter

When the file is open, look for the "Device" section and, where says Driver, change whatever that is there "vesa" or "nv" and put "nvidia"

Save pressing the keys Ctrl + O, press Enter and you're done

Also, to get a graphic system, you need to have installed Gnome, KDE or Xfce less that you want to install a window manager like fluxbox, blackbox....

Jejeje, then, everybody was faster than me.....

Reegards

Bye