Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello there I wanted to install Debian via net install, there is an ISO for CD but I am wondering if there is a usb drive version avaiable such that ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

netinst on usb drive?

Hello there I wanted to install Debian via net install, there is an ISO for CD but I am wondering if there is a usb drive version avaiable such that I could boot up Debian netinst from usb drive and install it? Thanks.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Blash
    Hello there I wanted to install Debian via net install, there is an ISO for CD but I am wondering if there is a usb drive version avaiable such that I could boot up Debian netinst from usb drive and install it? Thanks.
    yea good luck doing that. I'm finding it extremely frustrating trying to boot from my USB disk. I got it installed and partitioned on my 20 gig drive but my mobo just doesnt want to boot it. And if I let Debian write to my MBR I get error 17... so yea good luck.

Just Joined!
    Ok... so is there a thing I can download and put it on my USB drive? Or do I just put the CD ISO on the usb?

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Blash
    Ok... so is there a thing I can download and put it on my USB drive? Or do I just put the CD ISO on the usb?
    Well I didn't use the netinst ISO I used the binary1 ISO. In any case... you're gonna wanna burn that iso as an image to a cd. Boot up with the CD and pray that Debian sees your USB drive.

You guys are talking about two completely different things. The original question is about booting the net-installer FROM a USB drive (presumably because he has no CD drive). The advice is about booting the net-install CD and installing Debian TO a USB drive.

Anyway, here's the first Google hit for "debian install USB": http://d-i.pascal.at/

I've not tried it myself. It seems complicated, but doable.
    Isaac Kuo, ICQ 29055726 or Yahoo mechdan