Find the answer to your Linux question:
Okay, first off, I have searched and searched not only this forum, but many other forums, and still have not found a fix for my problem. I have Pure-FTPD 1.0.19 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Exclamation Pure-FTPD "Authentication Failed, sorry"

Okay, first off, I have searched and searched not only this forum, but many other forums, and still have not found a fix for my problem.

I have Pure-FTPD 1.0.19 installed on my Debian Box. I have taken off PAM authentication. I have created an ftp group like so:

Code:
    groupadd ftp
    and created a basic FTP user like so:

Code:
    useradd -g ftpgroup -d /dev/null -s /etc ftpuser
    I created two users by the name of britt and mark. Created the passwords. Created the pureftp database. The users all have shells (/bin/bash)

If I try to logon on to FTP server using my system name drew with its password, then it logs on. If I logon with anything else (britt, mark - with passwords) ...it does't work.

Both britt and mark are system and ftp usernames.

If someone could shed some light on this, I would be extremely happy.

Just Joined!
    Okay, I figured it out on my own, and will share.

There is a directory in the /etc/pure-ftp directory called "auth".

By default the directory contains two files: "65unix" and "70pam". what this means is, it will check the unix (/etc/passwd) system authentication. PAM authentication would not be implemented in this case. The lower the number, the first one it tries. So we need a number in there, for the PureDB authentication.

To do that we have to create a symbolic link to the auth directory from the PureDB file created in /etc/pure-ftpd/conf/

To do so here is the code (as if you were in the /etc/pure-ftpd/auth directory):

Code:
    ln -s ../conf/PureDB 50pure
    so, "50pure" is now created in the auth directory, and it now checks virtual users now for authentication purposes. Worked perfectly.

Just Joined!

Pure-Ftpd

Hey Drew,

that's exactly what I was looking for, except my install (SUSE 10) hasn't created an auth folder or a config folder in /etc/pure-ftpd

Is it something to do with the config file setup?

Justin

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

Awesome!

Thank you, man! I registered to this forum just to say how awesome you are. And how stupid pure-ftpd is (and whoever built the distro package)

Thanks again!