Find the answer to your Linux question:
k so im up and running on debian 3.1 and i am starting to get the hang of it i think. i have no idea to set my screen resolution ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

getting started

k so im up and running on debian 3.1 and i am starting to get the hang of it i think. i have no idea to set my screen resolution higher and expand my desktop onto my dual monitor. my resolution is at 800x640 and i have a ati 9000 pro. i tried to download the driver for the card but i have no idea how to install it. it just goes to gedit and says taht it isnt the right codec. thanks a lot guys

To install the ATI drivers, check out this thread :
    http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/deb...850-x-run.html

To change the resolution, you need to edit the file /etc/X11/XF86Config-4. As there are many threads on that subject, searching the forum for the exact answer is left as an exercice
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

Just Joined!
    i tried to do that in terminal when im in root but it says permission denied. is the terminal the command line. im a total newb at this but once i get my head wrapped around a few thing ill learn pretty fast.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by kelly_s
    is the terminal the command line.
    Yep, it is.

First, download the latest ATI driver : https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/674/9206...ler-8.28.8.run

Then install "fakeroot" (you need to be root for that -- check the end of this post for more info on root) :
    Code:
    apt-get install fakeroot
    Second, prepare the ATI packages from the file your downloaded (as a normal user, so "exit" root mode):
    Code:
    chmod +x ./ati-driver-installer-8.28.8.run 
    fakeroot ./ati-driver-installer-8.28.8.run --buildpkg Debian/sarge
    Third, install the required resulting packages (only those 2 are required) -- you need to be root to install them:
    Code:
    dpkg -i fglrx-driver_8.28.8-1_i386.deb fglrx-kernel-src_8.28.8-1_i386.deb
    Then install the kernel headers (being root as well)
    Code:
    apt-get install kernel-headers-$(uname -r)
    At this point you must build the "fglrx" module with module-assistant (still being root):
    Code:
    apt-get install module-assistant 
    cd /usr/src
    m-a prepare 
    m-a a-i fglrx
    Finally make sure your /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file is correctly configured. A little hint there :
    http://www.stanchina.net/~flavio/deb...html#configure

You can use the terminal and become root by typing :
    Code:
    su
    and then type your password (it won't appear as you type it).

To exit root and be a normal user again, type :
    Code:
    exit
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

Just Joined!
    thanks a lot. i guess the driver is installed. i made it all the way down but when im in the terminal and i put in /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 while im su it says permission denied. i really appreciate all the help.

/etc/X11/XF86Config-4 while im su it says permission denied.
    While being root, you can edit a file with any text editor, like nano for example :
    Code:
    nano /etc/X11/XF86Config-4

-Bruce Lee

Just Joined!

Success with ATI Radeon XPRESS 200

Antidrugue, thank you for the installation notes. I can confirm that it works fine on Debian/sarge-2.4.27-2-386 with ATI Radeon XPRESS 200.

As an interesting thing I noticed that the KDE is a bit faster now with the new driver. A standard "vesa" driver works OK with ATI Radeon XPRESS 200 as well, and it took me a while to install a real driver.

Nick Kisialiou

Just Joined!
    k i got the resolution fixed. the nano was the trick. thanks a lot. one thing i noticed is that i dont think that the driver is installed correctly. in the XF86Congif-4 it says
    Section "Device"
    Identifier "Generic Video Card"
    Driver "vesa"
    EndSection

sorry if im being a pest but im learning and really appreciate the patience. thanks a lot

Just Joined!
    k i got the resolution fixed. the nano was the trick. thanks a lot. one thing i noticed is that i dont think that the driver is installed correctly. in the XF86Congif-4 it says
    Section "Device"
    Identifier "Generic Video Card"
    Driver "vesa"
    EndSection

sorry if im being a pest but im learning and really appreciate the patience. thanks a lot
    You have to manually change it (as root) for
    Driver "fglrx"
    save the config file and restart your x-server.