Find the answer to your Linux question:
i am using kanotix on a thinkpad which works great, and though i am relatively a noob, i have a wireless card (zyxel g100) pluged in. the os recognises it ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question networks and internet (wifi)

i am using kanotix on a thinkpad which works great, and though i am relatively a noob, i have a wireless card (zyxel g100) pluged in. the os recognises it and i know it to be compatible with the prism54 driver. there is a working wireless network but i cant seem to enable it for internet. how do i connect to the network?

Is the network card connecting to the network ok? Try "ifconfig" to see the network card information eg ip address etc. Also try pinging a computer on the lan, and then also an internet computer. If it works internally but not out to the internet, that may be a routing issue, check the output of the command "route" to see if you see anything that sets the gateway as your router IP address.

If u cant see anything or are not sure, post the output of those commands here.
    "I am not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings"
    Registered Linux user = #372327

Just Joined!

Thumbs up answered my own question

i found the solution...
    ifconfig eth0 down
    ifconfig eth1 up
    pump -i eth1

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Glad u got it sorted...

Just one question though... what does pump do??
    "I am not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings"
    Registered Linux user = #372327

I use Knoppix every now and then, it uses pump also and I am guessing here but it seems to be an alternative to the restart dhcp command. I wish Fedora had it too.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeTbob
    I use Knoppix every now and then, it uses pump also and I am guessing here but it seems to be an alternative to the restart dhcp command. I wish Fedora had it too.
    I think it is the alternative to any sort of dhcp operation. For example, dhclient does the same things (though I could be wrong).
    Brilliant Mediocrity - Making Failure Look Good