Find the answer to your Linux question:
I can't get Debian to boot. Someone mentioned Debian removed hotplugging but it still boots up with a hotplugging like script. Most distros have hotplugging to search for hardware and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Debian Etch; booting

I can't get Debian to boot. Someone mentioned Debian removed hotplugging but it still boots up with a hotplugging like script. Most distros have hotplugging to search for hardware and automatically probe the module for it.

The problem is that I have onboard video and when it probes for the module it 'disables' the AGP board instead.

Anyone know which package or which script is causing this?

It could be any of three things that immediately come to mind (possibly more that don't come to mind). To get anywhere, we're going to need more details.

Assuming you don't want to use the on-board video, is it disabled in the BIOS?
    When you say Debian won't boot, how far into the process does it get? It sounds like it gets at least as far as probing hardware, which is something; do you eventually get to a command line, or does it freeze while detecting hardware?
    If you do get to a command line, can you please log in and get the output of dmesg, and post it here?
    Stand up and be counted as a Linux user!