Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

debian etch vterminals

hi all im recently trying linux out again, ive had some limited experience with it b4 but im running into a problem here with the new debian, i used the amd64 net install disk and the system is up and running with gnome however if i stop the gui or try to use any of the virtual terminals f1 - f8 the screen just goes blank and will not display anything. it seems that the machine is locking up..my specs are AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 5200+ 2.6 GHz,2 gigs corsair dual channel, nvidia 8800gts 640meg, ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe Wireless Edition ...anyhelp would be greatly appreciated

ive now installed the 32 bit version of debian etch also installed the 2.6.18-4-k7 kernel and still nothing the gui works fine but as soon as i try to use one of the ctrl + alt + f1-f8 logins i just get a blank screen and cannot do anything but reset the machine :/

well i managed to get it, by editing my xorg.conf which was using the generic vesa driver to use the nv driver and then rebooting the pc which then failed to lanch x and brought me to a terminal login :P ,then after installing the nvidia drivers and restarting x i am now able to switch between all the vterms vrtl+alt+f1-7

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close