Find the answer to your Linux question:
Ok I installed Debain and all that with network install when it went to update it unistalled bash and kernel-image.2.4 and didn't installed kernel-image.2.6 and now when i restarted the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Kernel NOT INSTALLEd

Ok I installed Debain and all that with network install when it went to update it unistalled bash and kernel-image.2.4 and didn't installed kernel-image.2.6 and now when i restarted the linux it says grub. Is there away just install the kernel file?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mastermosley
    Ok I installed Debain and all that with network install when it went to update it unistalled bash and kernel-image.2.4 and didn't installed kernel-image.2.6 and now when i restarted the linux it says grub. Is there away just install the kernel file?
    I assume you're upgrading from sarge to etch (etch doesn't have a 2.4 kernel, you don't need an extra installation cd for this)...
    All you need to do is:
    Code:
    apt-get dist-upgrade
    If your sources list uses sarge, replace that with stable or etch.
    Next run:
    Code:
    apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade
    PS: I really don't understand what you mean by "Kernel NOT INSTALLEd".

Just Joined!
    The problem is i can't get on i restart it it stops because I dont hjave a kernel isntalled can i download a kernel image and put it on a disk and just install the kernel or do i have to restore it

Banned
    The problem is i can't get on i restart it it stops because I dont hjave a kernel isntalled can i download a kernel image and put it on a disk and just install the kernel or do i have to restore it
    Yes.
    Just boot your system with your boot disk and it should work.
    Once your system is running again, you can easily apt-get whatever kernel you like.

Just Joined!
    Ya, I have my boot disk but wouldn't that restore my system? I have a MYSQL database that I don't want to loose.

Banned
    Ya, I have my boot disk but wouldn't that restore my system? I have a MYSQL database that I don't want to loose.
    Press the funtction keys to see your boot options.
    I'm meant "linux rescue" and not a new install. The CD just already includes a working and bootable kernel

Just Joined!
    These are the only options:

linux (normal install for 2.4 kernel)
    linux26 (installs the 2.6 kernel)
    expert
    expert26

there is no rescue, is there a specific way to install it??