Find the answer to your Linux question:
First off let me start off by saying how much I am a proponent of Linux. I think that everything it stands for is honorable. I have always made an ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Unhappy Unhappy Getting WLAN working on T41 running Debian 4

First off let me start off by saying how much I am a proponent of Linux.
    I think that everything it stands for is honorable. I have always made an effort to use it as my primary OS on mt T41 (w.\ Intel a/b/g mpci card), but I am always thwarted by one thing, the lack of an easier WLAN setup.

For as long as WLAN has been a part of all of our laptops we have seen at least 2-4 for different versions of Linux distros coming and go without any of them really addressing the need to get wireless working on them. I keep hearing that all mpci use Atheros chipset, and all (or most) PCMCIA use another. Knowing this why haven't the developers found away to get a driver to work?

Getting ndiswrapper to work can be hell, and I just don't have the time to hunt the internet for every detail of info just to get it to work on my particular laptop with my particular chipset...etc.

If anyone can help out with this issue (shot in the dark), I would greatly, greatly appreciate it, but if not I can understand given the complexity of the Linux OS, and the scope of this issue.

Greetings
    it's not related to the complexity of linux OS,but the problem is when a company produce a piece of hardware they release only a Windows driver for it,and they don't care to much about the linux community, but fortunately things changes by days,now we have a lot of companies support linux not like for example in 1998.and the hardwares supported by linux are growing up.
    if you want to use a linux Distribution with an easy way to access the hardware the best choise is ubunto or opensuse 10.2.(at least for me)

Cheers.

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the reply, and you are very correct in your statement about hardware vendors not supporting Linux.

I think I am going to try Ubuntu, I have heard a lot of good things about it.