Find the answer to your Linux question:
Finally got my Debian install up and running (standard + KDE packages at the moment) thanks to help from some nice folks here. I'm wondering about the partition sizes Debian ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Partition sizes

Finally got my Debian install up and running (standard + KDE packages at the moment) thanks to help from some nice folks here.

I'm wondering about the partition sizes Debian chose for me when I installed, and if anyone can suggest I change these and reinstall before I get too much vested in the current installation.

Debian is residing on a 250 GB IDE drive, and I chose option 2, separate /, home, and swap partitions. By default, Debian allocated about 7.5 to root, 2.5 to swap, and the remaining 240 to home.

I'm planning to run a few different image manipulation applications, some larger games, maybe a small MUD server if I get ambitious. Should I put some more space in root? I don't plan to fill up the disk with music/movies any time soon, so I'm not bothered by cutting into that big chunk of free home space.

Banned
    7.5 gig should be enough if you don't go crazy with "apt-get install ...".
    If you happen to run out of space, you can alway change that later.
    Consider making a new /opt partition if you plan to install many really huge games (or just install them in your home map)
    PS: Use LVM if you plan to change your partition sizes a lot.

Personally if you have it to spare I would create a seperate partition. I went bananas and made it about 9GB so I could rip DVDs or deal with some big archives but usually you wouldn't need that. I just generally recommend that it is seperate so that old temp files don't end up filling your root partition. I would say that 2.5GB is probably a bit large for swap. I wouldn't make it any bigger than 1GB unless you need to deal with huge files.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I agree that your swap is way to big , just a waste of valuable disk space even with a massive drive. The swap you choose will depend on the amount of ram you have but personally I would not use more than 512mb .

Suse has a recommended partition scheme for over 4gb drives and it is laid out as / 1gb ,/user 4gb+ ,/opt 4gb+ ,/var 1gb ,/home rest of drive .You could have a space for /tmp in the mix as well.

That could be used with any distro I would say but the final options are up to you and depends on how many programs you install as stated previously .

If you like to keep it simple than go for a 512mb swap ,something like 10gb or more in root and the rest home .

Just Joined!
    Thanks for all the advice all. I went the LVM route and toned down the swap space also as everyone suggested. I'll probably chop it up more as I learn linux more, for now /, swap and /home seem to be working pretty well for me.