Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm having a problem somewhat similar to this on the 64 bit version. when I boot up, it goes through the sequence but then video signal to my monitor cuts ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

I'm having a problem somewhat similar to this on the 64 bit version. when I boot up, it goes through the sequence but then video signal to my monitor cuts out and my monitor gives me an "out of range" message. i have an nvidia ge force 7300 gs video card. any help would be appreciated!

did you set the driver to "vesa" in xorg.conf file as suggested above?
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by devils_casper View Post
    did you set the driver to "vesa" in xorg.conf file as suggested above?
    i did, and got the same results. i should have included that in my first post, but thanks. any other suggestions?

check your Monitor's Manual for supported HorizSync and VertiRefresh rates, and Resolutions.
    execute this
    Code:
    dpkg reconfiure xsever-xorg
    accept default options and type correct Refresh rates when prompted. select supported Resolutions from the list and reboot.
    Last edited by devils casper; 04-30-2007 at 06:24 PM. Reason: * posts moved, started new thread

Just Joined!
    i rechecked and realized that the change to the xorg.conf didn't get saved the first time. i redid it, and it worked. it won't allow me to set it to the correct resolution, however, but i assume that your last suggestion can be used to fix that as well. i'll give it a try. thanks!

you must have 'root' privileges to save xorg.conf file or execute above mentioned command. execute 'su' to gain 'root' privileges. i think you have figured that out already. do let us know how it goes.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by devils_casper View Post
    you must have 'root' privileges to save xorg.conf file or execute above mentioned command. execute 'su' to gain 'root' privileges. i think you have figured that out already. do let us know how it goes.
    i used sudo nano to edit it, i simply exited without saving. ding.