Find the answer to your Linux question:
any idea how to compile gtkpod with m4a(aac) support - I have no idea and this is a huge problem because I can't extract many of my files from ipod ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

GTKPOD with m4a(aac) support

any idea how to compile gtkpod with m4a(aac) support - I have no idea and this is a huge problem because I can't extract many of my files from ipod because they're in m4a format. Any ideas?

Just Joined!
    I just upped to Sid today -- so if this is bad info (not in Etch repo's) then I apologize, but how about:

apt-get install gtkpod-aac

Just Joined!
    unfortunately, not available for etch. You can compile mpeg4ip (also not available via apt-get, must download off sourceforge) but pain in the butt to say the least. Furthermore, how is Sid? Should I update - this certainly seemed wasteful!

Just Joined!
    You know -- I feel silly. I also forgot to mention libmp4v2 must be installed as well.

Moot, since this just ain't on etch -- but you can install Sid stuff into Etch. THere are "official ways" but all I ever do is change my repos to unstable, update, install what I want, then change the repos back and update again. No worries, YMMV.

I wouldn't update to Sid just for gtkpod-aac....Gnome rocks, as does Xfce4, and power management finally works!! WOOT.

I suppose I went to Sid for shits&giggles. I also installed the amd64 version and I have flash all day with Opera, but it's blech with Iceweasel.

I dunno -- Sid is pretty stable, but there are things to change. Like -- I updated my kernel and the damned thing got hung at "waiting for root file system". THere is an easy fix, remove initramfs-tools and install yaird with the new kernel. SImple and effective -- but who would know? I found the fix online.

Sid is good for a desktop, but you should know big changes are happening. I can usually fix things, or find the info quickly, but those less complete-geek than I would be wise to think twice. Etch is a fine desktop.

Indeed.

--machiner

Just Joined!
    I'm having problems anyway -- I have installed:

gtkpod-aac
    libmp4v2-dev
    libmpeg4ip-0 (dep)
    libmpeg4ip-dev (dep)

And an m4a tune refuses to be imported onto my 2nd gen ipod mini. Pffft. I shoulda kept my mouth shut!

The error:
    Import of '/mnt/tunage/You've Got A Friend.m4a' failed: m4a/m4p/m4b not supported without the mp4v2 library. You must compile the gtkpod source together with the mp4v2 library.
    The following track could not be processed (filetype is known but analysis failed): '/mnt/tunage/You've Got A Friend.m4a'

I use rockbox on my ipod -- maybe that is an issue. I'll look for updates as I'm running a version from last July.

Just Joined!
    I think you need to uninstall gtkpod and reinstall it...that message definitely is indicative of it being installed without noticing the correct libraries. Also, where did your libraries install? I think gtkpod looks in /usr/lib not /usr/local/lib so if your mp4 library (the .so file) is in /usr/local/lib make a symbolic link in /usr/lib

Just Joined!
    lol...I like your way of thinking. However, there is another issue. The libs are in the right spot, I did reinstall gtkpod, etc., etc., etc. But thank you.

What was your trouble in compiling? When running Sid I usually don't work too hard to fix an issue, it's in such flux. I basically just installed to see if you were just some lazy kid (lol, you know we all see that a lot). Clearly, that's not the issue here. I would like to resolve this at some point today, though.

I'll let you know how it goes. At this point I'm sorry that I have been of no help to you. Hope that changes.

Just Joined!
    I did eventually get this all to work right, but I compiled gtkpod myself, just by downloading the source code, not by apt-getting.If you install the libraries first, have them in the correct location,then when you run the configure file for gtkpod it should recognize that you have the libraries and compile with m4a support. However, if the configure tells you the libraries aren't found, edit the configure.in file directly, and find the enable m4a and change from undefine to def 1. This should potentially work. Compiling mpeg4ip was apain because it kept telling me I needed the newest versions of libtool, automake and autoconf, all of which I had but I had to compile manually the very newest versions not availalbe in apt-get for etch, compile allthree of those, and then run mpeg4ip and tell it not to install the player, because that kept giving me the error xmovewindow undefined. After i chose to just install the library, it worked okay. Kind of a lengthy, unclear process