Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
whats the password for the root user?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

whats the password for the root user?

my mistake ( its a long thread and stretched too much ). Linux is not installed yet and you are running LiveCD only.
    Hit Enter key at Password Prompt.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    i typed su in then for the password i just hit enter

"Authentication failed. Sorry."

bah

I've pretty much just come to the conclusion that hp laptops hate linux. Ive tried 5 different distros on it, none worked. I just tried ELive on my home PC and it worked perfectly.

Install Debian in Text Mode. Its easy to fix Graphics Problem after Installation.

Just Joined!
    What is text mode, how do it, and do is it on the same cd?

Download Ubuntu-7.04-alternate-i386.iso image from nearest mirror. Debian Installer defaults to Text Install only unless you type 'installgui' at boot: prompt.

Just Joined!
    I'm trying to install Elive which is based off of Debian on my laptop now and the same kinda blank screen thing happens. but i can choose to start it up off the livecd in a no graphical mode which brings up a menu. then i type in that reconfigure xserver thing and a reconfiguration thing comes up. it asks me like 10 different things about my monitor, or screen in my case. they are all filled in already and i just leave the default things as they are and click ok. after this is all done it goes back to the menu where it wants me to type more things in. what should i do next?

Accept default options and, as I've suggested earlier, enter supported HorizSync/VertRefresh rates. Choose supported Resolutions from the List and select "vesa" driver in the Video Driver list.
    if you are not sure about rates and resolutions, try these :

HorizSync : 28.0 - 85.0
    VertRefresh : 50.0 - 110.0
    Resolutions : "1024x800" and "800x640"

Just Joined!
    thanks i will try these and get back to u after a few hours cause i am heading to work now.

Just Joined!
    EDIT: dont read all this, u dont need to, i fixed it, read my next post

Alright. Boot up in no graphics mode...

"eliveuser@Elive[~]$ su" gives me

"root@Elive[/home/eliveuser]#"

I type "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg"

Now it asks me a lot of questions. I will attempt to write them all in here so you can help me pick out the ones that need to changed.

X server driver: (there is a list of manufacturers): nvidia (Deafult choice is "nv" ?)

Identifier for your video card: Deafult is "nVidia Corporation NVIDIA Default Card". Note: "this is usually the vendor or brande name followed by the model name, e.g. 'Nvidia Geforce 6600". I am just leaving it the default for now, whatever needs to be changed, please tell me.

Video Card's bus identifier: "PCI:1:0:0" Says you should leave this default unless you have multiple cards.

Amount of memory (kb) to be used by the video card: I leave it blank because it says it should be unless the video card lacks RAM, which mine sorta does, it has 128 dedicated, but i left it blank.

Use kernel framebuffer device interface?: Default is no, i pressed no (says in theory either would work)

Autodetect Keyboard layout: No

Then theres like 10 questions on mice and keyboard layout which i think is irrelevant but if someones thinks i should include those in here i can always go back and type em up.

X.Org server modules that should be loaded by default: There is bitmap (enabled), dbe (DISabled), ddc (enabled), dri (enabled).

Write default Files section to configuration file? Yes

Next is a monitor auto detection thing, i click yes auto detect.

Identifier for the monitor: "Generic Monitor"

Video modes to be used by the X server: Theres like 15 different resolutions, i only have 3 checked (640 480, 800 600, 1024, 76

Alright the next part is important I think so I will type it all up.
    "For the X Windows System graphical user interface to operate correctly, certain characteristics of the monitor must be known. The 'simple' option will prompt about the monitor's physical size; this will set some configuration values appropriate for a typical CRT of the corresponding size, but may be suboptimal for high quality CRT's. The 'medium' option will present you with a list of resolutions and refresh rates, such as 800 by 600 at 85 hz you should choose the best mode you with to use and that you know the monitor is capable of. The 'advanced' option will let you specify the monitor's horizontal sync and vertical refresh tolerances directly."

Then I have to choose either simple, medium, or advanced. I will choose advanced for now.

Monitor's horizontal sync range: 28-85 (like u told me)

Monitor's vertical refresh range: 50-110

Write monitor sync ranges to the configuration file? Yes

Desired default color depth in bits: 24

Then this is kinda weird. On this color depth in bits question i cant really click ok or anything to finish. it just leaves the question up and down at the bottom it says "xserver-xorg postinst warning: overwriting possibly-customized configuration file; backup in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.20070720182613". and it gives me the root at elive menu again at the bottom. but still while the question is up.

PHEW that was a lot. Im not really sure what to do now, but i hope all this typing, can help someone help me.

THANK YOU GUYS.
    Last edited by celtic426; 07-21-2007 at 02:48 AM. Reason: already fixed

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast