Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi there! Im currently having a class in Linux where my students are installing programs locally for other users to use - is there any neat way for my administrators ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Neta way of handling desktop shortcuts for users?

Hi there!
    Im currently having a class in Linux where my students are installing programs locally for other users to use - is there any neat way for my administrators to create shortcuts for the other users without having to logon separately on each one of them. I know that all shortcuts are located in the .gnome-desktop (we use gnome) as files (with strange filenames with .deskop), but copying them right over to all home directories doesnt seem to work for all shortcuts.
    Is there any administrator help in Gnome 1.4 for handling this or do you have to do it manually?

Regards Oscar

Linux Enthusiast
    in GNOME 1.4 I don't think they have a default desktop. I actually don't think they have a "put this on all users desktops" in GNOME2. Sorry, the only way I could think to do this is to either copy the .desktop file to everyones desktop directory, or you can have all the desktop directories link to one system-wide default directory.
    I respectfully decline the invitation to join your delusion.

Linux Engineer
    You could create a default desktop then add those gnome configs to /etc/skel so anytime you add a new users, they will have that desktop added to their ~. You can also create a login server which will run nis and store the users home directories and share them with nfs so their desktop will be the same on any computer they log into.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    That's possible to do with the menu, but I actually don't know about the desktop. Check the GNOME System Administrator's Reference on gnome.org.