Find the answer to your Linux question:
I just got a new computer and decided to install Mandrake 10.0 having used 9.1 on the old. After some messing around because the computer (A Dell Optiplex GX260) comes ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Tiny unreadable fonts in KDE

I just got a new computer and decided to install Mandrake 10.0 having used 9.1 on the old. After some messing around because the computer (A Dell Optiplex GX260) comes with a BIOS setting that makes it impossible to use a video resolution above 640x480 I was able to get X up and running.

But what met me was a rather curious sight, all the text was 2-3 pixels tall lines looking more like random noise on the screen. This affected all the KDE fonts. I was able to "blindly" maneuver myself to the font settings, and after some trial and error I could change all the font to the largest possible size (64). With this setting they were readable, but I would say they looked like size 12-14.

Because I am a developer I don't have time to muck around with this, so I decided to install good old 9.1 and be done with it. It works nicely, but I'm still curious if anyone has seen anything similar or know what might have gone wrong.

I do believe the fonts within the Konqueror window were readable, but I can't say for sure because I really didn't have time to explore it any more.

Linux Engineer

surely changing the font size would've been a less drastic option than installing 9.1?
    Lansbury's Lido

thekiadriver on #linuxforums - fleetingly

Just Joined!
    Not really, the problem was after all that by setting the font size to 64 the fonts were readable, but just barely. Surely something was very wrong. The fonts also looked awful because I had to use monospace fonts, the others were still not very readable (with a size of 64, that is).

So again, because I was in a hurry it was much faster to install 9.1, after all it only takes a few minutes, searching for a solution could quickly take hours. I'm not a fan of spending hours tweaking and fiddling with details, I just want my development environment up and running in a snap.

My reason for posting now is that if I could find a solution I would be able to upgrade. On the other hand I'm not sure there's any point in upgrading, the changes from 9.1 to 10 seem rather small?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    It sounds as if the X server somehow probed the screen resolution (not resolution as in the number of pixels, but as in how many pixels per physical length unit, or DPI) wrongly.

You will probably want to add a "DisplaySize" directive to the Monitor section in your XF86Config. It looks like this:
    Code:
    DisplaySize <width> <height>
    Where <width> and <height>, obviously, are those measurements of your monitor. They are to be entered in millimetres.

Just Joined!
    Interesting. I did find the correct monitor (Viewsonic PF790) in the list of available monitors. I can't remember if there was a Display entry in the X config. However under 9.1 there is none.

If I execute dpyinfo on the current 9.1 installation, I get among other things:
    dimensions: 1280x1024 pixels (2709x2601 millimeters)
    resolution: 12x10 dots per inch

So I guess 2709x2601 millimeters is the correct setting for the DisplaySize. I'll try it out later today if I can find the time.

Linux Guru
    Yeah, 12x10 DPI is obviously completely and totally wrong. No wonder the fonts were rendered far too small.

However, unless you really have a 150" monitor, I don't think those measurements are correct. If you truly have a 150" monitor, would you mind telling me wherever you found it? ;-)

Just Joined!
    Uh oh... Funny thing then that everything looks great! My problems were with 10.0, now I'm running 9.1, the dpyinfo command was executed under 9.1, were everything looks good. Sorry for creating the confusion. Might it be that the KDE that ships with 9.1 ignores these settings, and that the one that ships with 10.0 doesn't? I'm clueless...

Linux Guru
    I'm guessing too that Mdk 9.1 would somehow ignore them. Anyway, just take out a ruler and measure your monitor, then put those values in.