Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, when I try to edit a file using the gui it says I don't have access. I end up having to do all my edits via the terminal after ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How to give myself root access when using the gui

Hi, when I try to edit a file using the gui it says I don't have access. I end up having to do all my edits via the terminal after typing in su. How do I enable it so that I can do this via the gui. I am using kde 3.5 and mandriva linux 2007.1. I'm sure there must be an option for this though I can't find it in anywhere.
    Thanks.

Not sure which editor you are using, I'll use kate as a "for instance." As regular user do:
    Code:
    kdesu kate /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered:#371367 New Members: click here

Just Joined!
    that didn't work. Am I supposed to edit something once I am in the xorg.conf file. Why isn't there an option for this in kde configuration!?!?!? I just want to be able to have root acces to my files without having to go into the console everytime.

Linux Guru
    No that was an example of editing the xorg.conf file. Kdesu is the application that gives you root access. If you want to browse and edit files as root hit alt+f2 to run a command and then type
    Code:
    kdesu konqueror /
    You will then be prompted for your root password and the konqueror window you have opened will have root privelages.

You shouldn't need to edit files outside of your home directory much, really only when configuring the system.

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    In KDE you can do ALT-F2 and then enter the command "kdesu somecommand" in the dialogue box that will pop up.

Edit: Beaten to the answer by bigtomrodney