Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Ubuntu with Gnome bhoyt...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Ubuntu with Gnome
    bhoyt

Just Joined!
    Because of the Windows API-level stuff that AutoHotKey does. I suspect that it will only function for Windows programs running under Wine. My goal is to run OOo under Linux and have the functionality to intercept multiple key sequences and turn them into single key sequences.

Thanks,
    bhoyt

Its very easy in Gnome.
    System -- Preferences -- KeyBoard Shortcuts.
    Select Home Folder in Left pane and assign New Accelerator at right side.
    It has lot of pre-defined accelerators. Search, Web Browser, Email, Calculator etc.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Sorry that is to simplistic for my purposes note my reply above: "I know about modifying with Xmodmap. But I need multiple keystrokes mapped into one! e.g. "Ctrl-Q,Ctrl-S" should map to {Home}. Anything to do this with?"

Furthermore I need to be able to have these key sequences work for only a selected window but fall through when any other window is active.

bhoyt

Okk ! Press Alt+F2 and type gconf-editor.
    Navigate to apps -- metacity in Left pane.
    Assign new keystrokes in Global Keybinidings and Command in Keybinding_command.

Just Joined!
    Sorry, I obviously haven't described my need sufficiently. Let me give an example.

When I am working in OOo Writer, I want to be able to type the two-key sequence "Ctrl-Q Ctrl-S" and have this sequence intercepted and then send the "Home" key to OOo Writer. Of course this means that I don't want this key sequence to function globally, just for OOo Writer when it is active. The program will have to have some smarts to detect which window is active and then do the intercept and send the proper key.

I hope this explains what I want.

AutoHotKey does this wonderfully in Windows. Is there anything that can do it for Linux X?

bhoyt

AFAIK, hal.addon.keyboard process handles key sequences and if a particular sequence is not defined globally, It passes sequence to Current Active Window/Application only. You should look into OOo Writer's options/custom menu to assign key sequences.
    I have never used AutoHotKey in Windows but I will look into that.

Just Joined!
    Thanks for you help. I appreciate it.

Where do I find hal.addon.keyboard?

It sounds like it might be an interim fix but it won't completely solve my problem. I need not only to process key sequences but to do so in a smart manner so that in some other window, I can get a different output from the same input sequence. For example in Thunderbird I might want the sequence "Ctrl-Q Ctrl-s" to send "Ctrl-Home" instead of "Home" as I mentioned when OOo Writer is active.

bhoyt

Just Joined!
    I have looked extensively at OOo Writer's options/custom menu to assign key sequences. It only assigns single key strokes not multiple key sequences. Which means that it is impossible to make it emulate the many Linux editors which use multiple key sequences.

Just Joined!
    bhoyt, I have no fixed solution for you but some suggestions that may work out for you: xbindkeys , XBindKeys , can according to its description handle multiple combo keys. Since I haven't had time to use it yet myself I'm not sure if that means that it can take a whole sequence of keys toghether as one hotkey, check active windows and so on. But maybe it can - you should check it out at least.

Also see this thread:
    http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/lin...utohotkey.html

Like you I miss an ubuntu equivalent for the powerful yet simple autohotkey on windows. Specifically I'm looking for a way to create doubletap hotkeys. For example, loading a special program by pressing caps lock twice quickly.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast