Find the answer to your Linux question:
when I launch the gnome-terminal window via shortcut or command line in gnome or kde, it comes up blank with a grey bar where the menu bar usually would be ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

gnome-terminal hangs itself and window manager

when I launch the gnome-terminal window via shortcut or command line in gnome or kde, it comes up blank with a grey bar where the menu bar usually would be and not responding. Once I've launched it and killed it, other applications won't run either. (some, not all) This is really strange so I could really use some help

I've been thinking really hard trying to determine what I might have done to break gnome-terminal and I can't think of what could have done it. It functioned great for the last couple weeks. This is an Ubuntu feisty install which originally just had gnome but I've installed kde since this problem started partly as a troubleshoot step. I already tried uninstalling and reinstalling the gnome-terminal package without success. xterm and other terminals do not cause any problems.

Quote Originally Posted by anystupidname View Post
    when I launch the gnome-terminal window via shortcut or command line in gnome or kde, it comes up blank with a grey bar where the menu bar usually would be and not responding. Once I've launched it and killed it, other applications won't run either. (some, not all) This is really strange so I could really use some help

I've been thinking really hard trying to determine what I might have done to break gnome-terminal and I can't think of what could have done it. It functioned great for the last couple weeks. This is an Ubuntu feisty install which originally just had gnome but I've installed kde since this problem started partly as a troubleshoot step. I already tried uninstalling and reinstalling the gnome-terminal package without success. xterm and other terminals do not cause any problems.
    Hey,
    Just when you tried to open terminal after it fails,
    Go to text console mode by pressing Cntrl+Atl+F1 and login
    Post the outputs of below
    Code:
    # tail -f /var/log/messages
    #vi /etc/securetty
    Also check your
    Regards,

who |grep -i blonde |
    date; cd~; unzip; touch;
    strip; finger; mount; gasp;
    yes; uptime; umount;
    sleep

Newbie clicks
    http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/lin...ead-first.html

Just Joined!
    Try to disable Beryl/Compiz and try again.

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the help guys.
    Slight change in behaviour of problem: This morning gnome-terminal actually ran for me once and appeared to be working for a single command and then it locked up the entire window mangler again. I had to switch to another console and killall gnome-terminal at which point the desktop started responding again. Again, xterm and konsole work fine, I'm just really puzzled why gnome-terminal suddenly broke...

@infoshirish: Here is the information you requested
    (I'm afraid it doesn't look too helpful)
    You appear to have not finished your post by accident. Was there supposed to be more after "Also check your..."?

Code:
    Sep  5 06:29:26 hostname censored gconfd (root-6766): starting (version 2.18.0.1), pid 6766 user 'root'
    Sep  5 06:29:26 censored gconfd (root-6766): Resolved address "xml:readonly:/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.mandatory" to a read-only configuration source at position 0
    Sep  5 06:29:26 censored gconfd (root-6766): Resolved address "xml:readwrite:/root/.gconf" to a writable configuration source at position 1
    Sep  5 06:29:26 censored gconfd (root-6766): Resolved address "xml:readonly:/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults" to a read-only configuration source at position 2
    Sep  5 06:29:26 censored gconfd (root-6766): Resolved address "xml:readonly:/var/lib/gconf/debian.defaults" to a read-only configuration source at position 3
    Sep  5 06:29:26 censored gconfd (root-6766): Resolved address "xml:readonly:/var/lib/gconf/defaults" to a read-only configuration source at position 4
    Sep  5 06:30:26 censored gconfd (root-6766): GConf server is not in use, shutting down.
    Sep  5 06:30:26 censored gconfd (root-6766): Exiting
    Code:
    # /etc/securetty: list of terminals on which root is allowed to login.
    # See securetty(5) and login(1).
    console

# for people with serial port consoles
    ttyS0

# for devfs
    tts/0

# Standard consoles
    tty1
    tty2
    tty3
    tty4
    tty5
    tty6
    tty7
    tty8
    tty9
    tty10
    tty11
    tty12
    tty13
    tty14
    tty15
    tty16
    tty17
    tty18
    tty19
    tty20
    tty21
    tty22
    tty23
    tty24
    tty25
    tty26
    tty27
    tty28
    tty29
    tty30
    tty31
    tty32
    tty33
    tty34
    tty35
    tty36
    tty37
    tty38
    tty39
    tty40
    tty41
    tty42
    tty43
    tty44
    tty45
    tty46
    tty47
    tty48
    tty49
    tty50
    tty51
    tty52
    tty53
    tty54
    tty55
    tty56
    tty57
    tty58
    tty59
    tty60
    tty61
    tty62
    tty63

# Same as above, but these only occur with devfs devices
    vc/1
    vc/2
    vc/3
    vc/4
    vc/5
    vc/6
    vc/7
    vc/8
    vc/9
    vc/10
    vc/11
    vc/12
    vc/13
    vc/14
    vc/15
    vc/16
    vc/17
    vc/18
    vc/19
    vc/20
    vc/21
    vc/22
    vc/23
    vc/24
    vc/25
    vc/26
    vc/27
    vc/28
    vc/29
    vc/30
    vc/31
    vc/32
    vc/33
    vc/34
    vc/35
    vc/36
    vc/37
    vc/38
    vc/39
    vc/40
    vc/41
    vc/42
    vc/43
    vc/44
    vc/45
    vc/46
    vc/47
    vc/48
    vc/49
    vc/50
    vc/51
    vc/52
    vc/53
    vc/54
    vc/55
    vc/56
    vc/57
    vc/58
    vc/59
    vc/60
    vc/61
    vc/62
    vc/63
    @artiomix: thanks but none of that eye candy is currently installed.

Just Joined!

giving up

I'm giving up on trying to figure out the problem. whatever underlying problem there is, it doesn't seem to be affecting anything else so I've just uninstalled gnome-terminal and am using konsole instead...