Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, I am not sure whether to post this question here or in slackware forum, but since the problem is mostly related to XFCE then I think it is ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

cannot quit xfce4

Hi all,

I am not sure whether to post this question here or in slackware forum, but since the problem is mostly related to XFCE then I think it is better to put it here.

Anyway I just installed the new Slackware 12.0 and tried out the XFCE window manager.
    I installed the packages manually one by one, and got the XFCE up and running. However when I tried to quit xfce it won't do it, it just didn't do anything. I just stayed there, so I have to press Ctrl-Alt-Backspace to get out of the Xwindows.

At first I wasn't sure what happened, the only thing i could see from the command prompt from where I run startx was that there is a message "ICE connection rejected" and something like "session-manager was not running".

I wasn't sure whether this has anything to do with the unable to quit problem that I am having. But it seems the message "session-manager was not running" was not present if I didn't try to quit first but instead just press the Ctrl-Alt-Backspace.

But now when I looked at the Edit Menu window under Desktop Preferences, I found that the Quit button will invoke a command called quit, like for example Terminal button will invoke a command called xfterm4 or the File manager button will invoke Thunar etc.

Now the other commands I found on that Edit Menu can be invoked manually via the terminal window. So when I type xfhelp4 on CLI it will invoke the Xfce Documentation under the web browser, or when I typed thunar it will invoke the file manager etc.

But when I type in quit then it says "command not found". and when I do "which quit" it comes back saying: no quit in (/usr/local/sbin:/usr/sbin.....All of my path here)

So I am missing quit for this XFCE. Does anybody know where can I find quit for XFCE ? Can someone that already have XFCE running and got the Quit button works properly tell me where the quit command is ? or whether the Quit actually invoke quit command or something else ?

Thanks in advance for any help

BTW: I have searched the The Slackware Linux Project packages, and I could not find any quit command that is i think related to XFCE. There is one quit command under fvwm95 package, but don't think this is the one that I want.

Thanks again

Well, this might shock you.
    but there isnt any quit program.
    its a Command that XFCE reads as exit.
    So, you cant close xfce with a terminal. You have to click the quit button.
    If you want to shutdown when running xfce you can do that. But just entering init 0, or shutdown -t now or ofc halt.

Hope that helped.
    New Users, please read this..
    Google first, then ask..

Just Joined!
    Thank you for the reply.

Actually you are partially right. There is no quit command, however you can quit xfce4 from the command prompt. Just type in xfce4-session-logout from your terminal window, and that works just like the Quit button. Actually I think it is the command that Quit button executes when you press it

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Yea that was what I was pointing at
    Anywho you figured it out. Thats important isnt it
    New Users, please read this..
    Google first, then ask..