Results 1 to 2 of 2
Thread: oops I broke X
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
- Join Date
- Jan 2003
- Cardiff, Wales
oops I broke X
I tried to install the rpms with little success due to dependencies. So I decided to force the issue.
Ran rpm -Uvh --nodeps --force *.rpm
Installed OK. Rebooted X server. Nothing happened just mouse pointer (X).
So restarted PC.
Message states X respawning too fast disabled for 5 mins.
Logged in manually and started X
got following error
file libXrandr.so.2 cannot be found.
Ooops! Any ideas howto fix it!
Otherwise will wait for RH9 or maybe try the new mandrake as a friend is running that and it looks pretty good. Also has urpmi gui for software updating.No trees were harmed during the creation of this message. Its made from a blend of elephant tusk and dolphin meat.
- Join Date
- Oct 2001
- Täby, Sweden
Oooh... dependencies often have reasons. Best option I can think of is reinstalling the original Gnome RPMs from the RedHat CDs. Try creating a file list of the RPMs to be installed, like this, having the LinuxFormat CD inserted:
ls /mnt/cdrom/path/to/files/*.rpm | sed 's/[0-9.-]*\.i386\.rpm$//' >~/rpmlist
for file in `cat ~/rpmlist`; do path=`ls /mnt/cdrom/RedHat/RPMS/* | grep "$file"'[0-9.-]*\.i386\.rpm'`; if [ -e $path ]; then echo $file; cp $path /tmp/rpms; fi; done
When all is done, go to /tmp/rpms and do this:
rpm -Uhv --nodeps --force *.rpm